Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 AM
1st Gear
Default Power Steering Pump

Looking for DIY instruction to replace a power steering pump on an 02 Audi A6.

Anyone have a link? How hard is this job?

Old 03-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Site Moderator

Whats wrong with it? I have only replaced one PS pump and it was on an old school 200.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

Whining like crazy when I turn the wheel, it gets worse in cold weather. Fluid levels are fine and fluid is clean.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Site Moderator

Just out of curiosity, did you put the VW/audi fluid back in there? Its a mineral based fluid, which is the only fluid you can put in there. Other crap will make the PS pump whine worse than a baby slapped on the ***..

Old 04-02-2009, 01:00 AM
1st Gear

Honestly I don't know what's in there because I haven't done anything with it. I guess I could flush it first with VW/Audi fluid and see if that helps.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 PM
3rd Gear

Mines a moaner as well. I've read that you should clean the filter. Haven't done it yet but it is on my to eventually do list.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:56 PM
2nd Gear

Mine was doing that too. Take a good look at all of the clamps I moved one when I was installing the timing belt and it was just enough to let air into the system it is the one right on top. I replaced it with a Stainless hose clamp that I got from the Boat store. It does not have the slits all the way through the band so you can really gety a tight fit (.45 cents each) and I used two of them. I also replaced the ones on the right bottom behind radiator Then I replaced the fluid with:
AUDI G 004 000 M2
it is supposed to help with the cavitation (whining) It worked no more noise.
I have a 02 A6 3.0 that this happened to. The fluid can be mixed with the CHF 11S fluid so you are ok if there is still a little left in the system when you add the new fluid. I only used 1 Qt but get two. I'll have to start taking pictures of this stuff. I would hate to see you replace the pump when/if it's a loose line that's the problem.

Last edited by Jackmup; 04-02-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:35 AM
1st Gear

Interesting, the noise started not long after having my timing belt changed along with some other work I had done.

If you do take pics please post them.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:47 AM
2nd Gear

I will take some this weekend for you showing the clamps and location of my leak. Only remember it was not a leak so there was no oil it was actually sucking air in not leaking oil out so all will look normal when you are poking around. I'll also dig up the instructions for changing the steering fluid. It was alot easier than it sounds. In the mean time look at the top of your PS pump and inspect the clamp thats on there it is crimped so you should recrimp it to make sure it's tight but if you are using the flush dikes like I do then be careful or you'll cut the whole thing off like I did. damit. Also inspect the fluid condition after hearing noise. Is it Foamy? if so air is getting in somewhere. If not we may have different problems.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:05 AM

i just replaced mine, try this.. jack up the front of your car and place it on jack stands so the wheels are off the ground.. with the ignition on but the car off rotate the wheel side to side lock to lock about 10 times each to release any air that may be in your system which would cause the whine, ** note that there is a small hole in the cap of your fluid resevoir that may spit fluid out of it, make sure you have someone hold somthing infront of that hole to catch fluid

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump