Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Program new key on A6

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Program new key on A6

Is it easy to program a key on 2006 A6? If yes, then how can i do it?

Thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Program new key on A6

It is easy for the dealer to do. While I make NO gurantee and anyone who knows better can correct me, but my personal experience is that the dealer has to take the car and hook it up to the computer and reprogram the keys, together with the car. I think they actually need all of the keys, as I have always given them the whole set to do, but they usually charge 1/2hr shop time plus the key parts. I removed the batteries in 2 of them and had to have them all reprogrammed when I first got the car. I thought one of the extra fobs was dead, so I swapped batteries rendering 2 of the 3 fobs dead. apparently when the battery is removed it wipes the programming as well.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 AM

hi there, 8 cylinders is correct, but let me explain in more detail. first of all it does not need to go to a main stealer. i am sure there is a reputable garage near you that has the diagnostic equipment to reset the keys/fobs.make sure you take all the keys you have and tell him to replace the batteries in all the fobs. if you were quick enough changing the batteries you might just have got away with it. price wise i charge about 40 to 60 pounds depending on the amount of keys and obviosly how long it takes. hope this helps. regards vinny

Old 02-04-2008, 11:09 AM
1st Gear

Ahh, is that the VAGCOM that I just read about? It looks like it is pretty straight forward if you have the correct equipment. It is nice to know that I don't necessarily need to use the dealer. Thanks for that. I actually have a spare from my 2.8l that I need to have cut and programmed to my 4.2l dealer said he would do it fro me at internal cost whatever that is.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:46 PM
3rd Gear

I removed the batteries in 2 of them and had to have them all reprogrammed when I first got the car. I thought one of the extra fobs was dead, so I swapped batteries rendering 2 of the 3 fobs dead. apparently when the battery is removed it wipes the programming as well.
Removing the batteries shouldnt wipe the programming. Sometimes turning the key to the on position and hitting lock or unlock a bunch of times will resynchronize the remotes to the car.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:02 PM

Hello I am a neby in this forum, and I own a 99 a6 avant quattro,
I have a serious problem though.
I work on the beach doing dune buggie rentals, last week I was at work and my keys fell out of my pocket.
The real problem was that was my only set of keys. My car is in park and locked with the alarm on and a week has gone by with my keys still mia. Is there anyway that I can buy a new key and drive it without my key being programed? If not can I program it?
The closest audi dealer is a hundred miles a way.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:13 AM
1st Gear

Oopsy Daisy

Old 04-18-2008, 06:19 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: audia6s

Is it easy to program a key on 2006 A6? If yes, then how can i do it?

Thanks
With the advanced key/push button start in the C6 I think you are stuck going to the dealer. A small price to pay for never needing to take the FOB out of your pocket.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:26 PM
2nd Gear

This topic is so old, that there are # of well writhen posts.

1. The remote reprogramming could be done at home
(the description is in the owner’s manual)

2. Immobilizer reprogramming => only by dealers a new security code is obtained from Ingolstadt.

Find uncut fob and valet keys,
Cut and reprogram completely at dealers.

I went trough this procedure by myself…

Have extra fobs and valet keys. (2002-2004 A6)
Blank

If somebody interested ?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:26 PM

Well I am supposed to get the key from the dealer tomorrow.
Does anyone know if that will get me in my car. I dont think mine has the imobilizer on it.
Can anyone direct me on how to program the key myself or by chance tell me some one who can.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Program new key on A6