Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled Over by NC State Trooper, need help, 86mph in a 65 allegedly!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:12 PM
2nd Gear
Default Pulled Over by NC State Trooper, need help, 86mph in a 65 allegedly!

Adam (Another CarolinaEuros member and a friend with a modded A6 Sline) and I went for a ride in the mountains yesterday, NC-181 and NC-221. It was fun but on the way there we were cruising about 75mph (65 speed limit) and I got pulled over by a State Trooper, who said I was doing 86mph avg over 1.3 miles. He issued a citation (no $ ticket yet) with mandatory appearance to court on Dec 6th. I don’t argue I was speeding, both Adam and I think we were doing about 75mph avg but I was not doing 86 avg for sure. I actually had my cruise control on at 75 most of the time.
So I need a good AFFORDABLE lawyer or someone who knows a cop who can help in the area!!! Gotta go to the Lincolnton Court! I was surprised by the mandatory appearance, and the cop said they would arrest me if I did not show !

Thanks

Well, A few pics with the link below below. IN spite of that ticket, it was a beautiful day in the mountains and enjoyable ride in the twisties! Leaves had turned yellow and red! Better pics from Adam's car coming and a movie clip

http://www.putfile.com/formulagigi/images/157722

Old 11-07-2007, 11:00 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Pulled Over by NC State Trooper, need help, 86mph in a 65 allegedly!

Great shot!

I'm sorry to hear about your ticket! I was pulled earlier this year by a NC StateTrooper supposedly doing 110! Eek! No license for a year, but on the bright side I'm in Iraq until the suspension is up, so it isn't too much of an inconvenience.

By the way, are you on coilovers? I see your signature, but the car sits unbelievably well if those are just lowering springs!

Coming home for leave in a few weeks if you and Adam wanna go for a roll I'd be happy to swing down to Charlotte or meet up somewhere else. Shoot, I still haven't picked up new rims... maybe I should hit up GMP to get some new shoes first!

Still taking recommendations on wheels too!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Pulled Over by NC State Trooper, need help, 86mph in a 65 allegedly!

I am on H&R Springs and Koni Yellow Shocks.

Wheels.. what's yuor $ range? Yuo want 19's or 18's? Lip/nop lip?...

We do rides regularly, let me know when you're back home.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 PM
3rd Gear

If you have 19" wheels wouldn't your speedometer read slow? I don't know but that could explain why you say you were going ~75 and the cop says ~86. I don't see why the cop would lie, but I guess.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:42 PM
2nd Gear

As for size I just want to fill the wheel well, but want to retain a good comfortable ride. I understand the differences between the 18s vs 19s, but if one looks better on the car than the other than I'd go with that. I like BBS due to the look and weight. I'd like to maintain some level of good fuel mileage. Lighter is better, but I am not against 19s.

As for price, I would definitely spend as little as $400ea for some decent 19s, but would also consider paying up to $800-900ea for a lighter set.

I'm more interested in no lip wheels, but would get lipped wheels if they look good. I like BBS and some of the HREs. I'd like to go with forged and would really like 2-piecers.

Next week I'm having my dad get new pads and SS lines. Supposedly the battery is bad or has lost some fluid. Looking like $350 for the pads and SS lines, and up to $150 for the Insterstate battery.

I may throwdown forexhaust and chip as well. Hmm...

Old 11-07-2007, 01:10 PM
1st Gear

That S-Line is the same color that I have. I would just go to court and see what happend. You might pay for a lawyer and not even need one. What did the citation say?

Old 11-07-2007, 01:13 PM
3rd Gear

You can see if the tires made a difference in your speedometer reading. The difference between 85 and 75 mph is 1.13.

If the ratio of the diameters/or circumference between the standard tires and the ones you have is close to 1.13 then you can be somewhat confident that that you were going 85.

A quick way to do the calculation is as follows:
Width x Aspect Ratio = Section Height
Section Height x 2 = Combined Section Height
Combined Section Height + Wheel Diameter = Tire Diameter

Example: 185/60R14
185mm x .60=111mm
111mm x 2=222mm
222mm + 355.6mm(14")= 577.6mm or 22.74"

Do the abovefor both tires and divide the largernumber (the tires that are on your car)by the smaller to get the ratio. If it is around 1.1 or so the cop was right and you need to do a web search to see if you can find a loophole in the laws. Crying only works if your a cute girl.

By the way the circumference is 3.1417 time the diameter of the tire but when doing ratios you can save a bit of time by eliminating the circumference calculation.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:21 PM
2nd Gear

Gigi,

Looking for an attorney!? Check out your picture! http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7019569

haha!

Old 11-07-2007, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

Hmmm..your tire size should not be off by that much...IIRC you are running 245 35 19 tuires, which are only slightly larger in diameter than the "stock" tire size. The tire calculator says that the diameter of a 235 45 17 tire is 25.3", and the diameter of the 245 35 19 tire is 25.8", or 1.7% in variance on the odometer, well within the 2% tolerance for DOT standards (for odometer accuracy).

I just fought a speeding ticket frmo NY, basically a form from the district attorny's office requesting a reduction in charges from speeding (potentially 4 points), down to a minor infraction. They reduced the charges down to failure to observe a traffic device, which is a much lower fine, and they are not going to report points. Maybe look into that to see if NC has a similar process in place???

Old 11-07-2007, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

All, I have an S-line andIlove the look of that gray one in the picture and his tires look huge. What size tires does he have on those rims? Looks like maybe 255-265, what is the biggest tires we can run on say the 18 inch RS6 wheels (the 5 spoke design) I am just loving the wheel and tire size on that gray S-line!. Thanks

Quick Reply: Pulled Over by NC State Trooper, need help, 86mph in a 65 allegedly!