Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question Regarding Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:54 AM
1st Gear
Default Question Regarding Maintenance

Hi all. Quick question regarding maintenance... I have been searching the forums and have come up with that on an 00 2.7T 6 Speed A6 the TB needs to be changed at around 80K. I just bought the car with 79,800. I called my local Audi Dealer to make an appointment and he said that the belt needs to be changed at 105K and the Plugs at 96K. Does that sound right?

I also called the dealer that did all the original work on the car to get the service record and he said the same thing. Should I just change the oil? and get the SAFE radio reset (previous owner lost the code)?

Both dealers suggested waiting till 96K for the Timing belt? The Car is still under CPO until August of this year and Extended warranty until 12/08.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:24 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Question Regarding Maintenance

I believe people suggest changing your belt early around here because of the risk of it breaking. My belt wasn't due to 105k on my 00 2.8l but was changed by the previous owner at 81k I believe. I guess it comes down to what you are comfortable with, change it for the piece of mind, or wait. I say at least wait until the end of August, that way if it does prematurly break the bill is on Audi. If the extended warrenty covers it, then wait until 105k. I plan on changing my belt around 160k, to me 105k intervals is just too long given the enormous risk associated with its failure. I also come from Volvo world where I had to change my 850's belt evey 50k. So 80k seems like a long time.

Jeff

Old 01-23-2007, 03:50 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Question Regarding Maintenance

The recommended interval is somewhere between 90k and 105k (depends on year -- it varied a bit). Conventional wisdom on most forums is that "playing it safe" would have you do it between 80 and 90k. Prior to that certainly will not hurt you, but may not gain you too much extra insurance. So, I think the question for you is whether or not the dealer will cover it early if this is part of CPO. If it's not (i.e., it's your nickel), I'd flip the switch pretty soon.

When you have it done, be sure to replace the tensioners, water pump, and all other components in the TB chain. Both www.purems.com and www.ecstuning.com sell complete kits for what you need. From what I've read, the pulleys are typically what fail, more often than the belts themselves.

If you've got a six speed, I'd also suggest you replace the snub mount with an aftermarket one when you have the TB done. $50 part (see vendors above) to improve drive train slop. VERY easy to do when having the TB done; quite a bit more difficult if done from scratch.

Good luck.