Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick advice on distorted dash screen on 2.7 A6

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Default Quick advice on distorted dash screen on 2.7 A6

Hi everyone,

Anyone have quick advice on the distorted dash screen that seems to be common on these older A6s? I'm considering buy a 2000 A6, 2.7T, only 60,000 miles and a real beauty... But, one flaw- the dash screen/ communications display is a bit distorted- has some lines through it. Know this has happened to others on here. Can it be fixed? Anyone have any quick solutions? Should I just get over it? Thanks.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Quick advice on distorted dash screen on 2.7 A6

Lots of older posts covering this topic, please search.

The short of it:

Can it be replaced: Yes (must meet some requirements)

Is it Cheap: NO

Quick Solutions: Just get over it

Old 12-18-2007, 08:29 AM
3rd Gear

The lines can be cute!

I live with it!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

Just turn it off...Quick fix

Old 12-18-2007, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

When I bought my 2000 A6 2.7T about 18 months ago, it had the pixelation problem. They had to replace the entire dash cluster tofix the problem. Luckily the previous owner had purchased an extended warranty and the repair was covered. The part alone was over $1000 and it took 3 weeks to get it.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:18 AM
3rd Gear

WOooooo Pixelation problem!!! I like that!

I can now really impress my wife with my technical knowledge by telling herthat we have a pixelation problem.

BTW Is a Pixelation problem caused by Pixies? DoesPixie dust fix or cause the problem?

Old 12-19-2007, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

Pixie dust is definitely the cause, not the solution. And make sure you don't get any pixie dust near your radio controls - it will cause the buttons to stick.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

hahaha, lmao, you guys and your pixie dust have me rolling! and yeah, i don't let pixies in my car because i hate having to vacuum that stuff up all the time! anyways, i'm curious as to what actually happens to cause lines of pixels to just go out, especially because it seems it's not just an isolated incident. is it possibly just the soldering begins to crack or seperate? or do you guys thing it's a wiring issue?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:00 AM
3rd Gear

I'm not sure about the cause. Sometimes the display on my older 200QT will be a real mess but if I turn the ignition off and back on it is OK. Other times it will have lines across it and nothing will fix it. Banging on the dash, driving down bumpy roads, or swearing at it dosen't make it change. My best guess it that either the signal gets confused or the display is tired and needs a dose of electrons to wake up.

In any case it is more fun to blame the Pixies or in the case of German cars the Trolls, but I never heard of Troll dust or Trolation. My neighbor from KY would have a ball with trolation cause he would think it had something to do withfishing. He still can't figure out Yankee fishing with light tackle so trolation would blow his mind!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:28 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: mustang196718

hahaha, lmao, you guys and your pixie dust have me rolling! and yeah, i don't let pixies in my car because i hate having to vacuum that stuff up all the time! anyways, i'm curious as to what actually happens to cause lines of pixels to just go out, especially because it seems it's not just an isolated incident. is it possibly just the soldering begins to crack or seperate? or do you guys thing it's a wiring issue?
yeah just need to take it apart, have it reglue the ribbon to the LCD.
and also help put some rubber stripes on both side when you are putting back the LCD.
I seen the how to on take it apart and someone has done this way, not sure where it was now. but I have done it also but haven't got it reglued yet. so when it's reglue, prob will work fine again.

Quick Reply: Quick advice on distorted dash screen on 2.7 A6