Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Replacement 1997 A6 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Default Radiator Replacement 1997 A6 Quattro

I need to replace a bad radiator on my 1997 A6. I've got the radiator sitting in the house and after removing the bumper, disconnecting the fans (wires still connected) I can't figure out which way the radiator should be removed. I've done extensive searching on forums and general web and can't find anything at all. Does anyone have any advise or is there a write up somewhere on the removal/install procedure?

I'd hate to have to bring it to a shop for something (at least on most cars) that is a straightforward swap out.

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 12-31-2009, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

After draining the coolant the are few more steps:

1. Disengage retaining clips on connecting flange and pull coolant hoses off the radiator
2. Unplug thermo-switch connector from the radiator on bottom, left
3. For automatic you have to remove ATF pipes as well (look from below the car)
4. Detach cooling pipes for power steering (look from behind the radiator)
5. Detach air cowls
6. Now tricky: remove securing bolts for condenser, and unplug pressure switch (DO NOT TOUCH ANY AC related pipes)
7. Pull condenser up and secure with something
8. Last :-) Release two retaining pins and get the radiator upwards, then towards front.

When you replace the radiator, do not forget to fill it carefully (use draining holes, etc.) - to avoid future problems with overheating/heater

Old 12-31-2009, 12:51 PM

Thanks Maxim,

Couple more questions,

Regarding step 3: if I remove these lines I will be losing AFT - and I have yet to find a reasonable way to replace it. is there some secret fill location that I am unaware of?

Regarding step 7: the AC condenser is in front of the radiator? I thought this was trans cooler - but your saying that power steering/AFT/coolant are all cooled in the main radiator housing? -- also it didn't look like I would be able to move the condensor b/c of the steel lines - is there enough give to pull it up

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I've done plenty of wrenching - but new to Audi...

Thanks

Old 01-01-2010, 04:17 AM

On a 1997 Audi A6 you need to remove the right headlight assembly. You need to get two ladders and put a board between them, to suspend the A/C condenser. The condenser is bolted to the front of the radiator. On the left side there is a refrigeration line bracket at the radiator mount. If you bought a Nissen radiator, this bracket has to be modified. Also, the plastic parts which Nissen supplies may break or may be the wrong ones. The Nissen radiator I bought, was missing the brass insert on the left front of the radiator for mounting the condensor. Check the ATF fluid level after replacing the radiator. If the radiator mounts are corroded the studs may shear off, so use penetrating oil.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:57 AM

Actually I got a spectra premium from radiatorbarn.com for 200 as compared to the same radiator from the local napa for 650. Hope it fits well! I would definitely recommend the site for quality parts at great prices.

Thanks for the tips - If it wasn't -20 out this would be a much easier job!

Old 01-02-2010, 11:24 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I remember loosing a bit of oil - I have added same volume of transmission oil to gearbox later. Condenser - yes, it is front. May be different a bit

Old 01-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Default ATF lines removal from radiator

the lines are really in tight the radiator (top and bottom)> I cannot remove them even after removing the screw on the bracket (welded to the line)..

what is the trick to remove the lines?

I read to put them back in you have to put some vaseline on the o-ring but no trick whatsoever to help removing the lines without damaging them... any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Old 01-11-2010, 10:04 PM

i guess a bit of elbow grease does it..

Old 01-12-2010, 05:51 PM
2nd Gear

I used an long socket extension and tapped on the end of the hose back towards the engine to get them loose.

Bob

Old 01-14-2010, 06:03 PM

good tip!

Quick Reply: Radiator Replacement 1997 A6 Quattro