Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle underside of car ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 12:16 AM
1st Gear
Default Rattle underside of car ...

Hello,

I have just recently purchased a 2001 A6 2.7T and the car has been running great until tonight. Earlier on today I heard a sound like a dragging underneath the car. I pulled over and looked and did not see anything below the car abnormal. I then parked. Just a short while ago when taking off I heard the dragging noise once more for a second or two then a clunk and nothing. Now at mid rpms and occasionally at other times there is a metal rattling or clanging underneath the car, almost directly below the shifter. Now its somewhat steady with mid rpms while occasionally getting a bit louder over bumps. Its too late at night right now but Im thinking an exhaust related issue, my dad believes a drivetrain issue. Im wondering if an exhaust hanger may have fallen off and maybe causing the pipes to rattle against each other. Is this feasible? Anyone else ever had similar issues? Im hoping not but could this be drivetrain related at all?

Please help!!!

Old 04-08-2005, 12:43 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Rattle underside of car ...

Welcome to Audi Forums Lyrad576!

Since you're new... check out the START HERE! (click this link) link to get a rundown of the lingo/vocab here at audiforums.

Then be sure to search the archives when you have a question. Chances are the question has been asked before (probably several times) and the archives will have plenty of information to answer your question. If you still need answers, please feel free to ask questions.

Don't feel intimidated; we are all a bunch of pretty cool guys (and gals). Feel free to post advice, comments, ideas, suggestions, and even pics.
================================================== ==========================================

I hope it's just your exhaust system, but I fear it sounds like (by your description) it is clutch/flywheel related.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:53 AM
1st Gear

mine has a rattle/grind type noise from under driver front. just picked up from dealer. had new torque converter installed. sounds like exhaust heat shield rattle. i am going back to dealer tomorrow.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:05 AM
3rd Gear

From this last description, you may be right. I hope it's the heat shield. Fingers crossed.

[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 04-08-2005, 01:31 AM
1st Gear

Hmm .. that is definitely something I will check. One thing we have now noticed is I have a clear thin fluid dripping off the bottomside of the car. I compared a sample of engine oil and the that was much darker so its not engine oil. Im starting to wonder gearbox and cringing. I did read that some of our trannies were sealed. Is this true on my 01?

Any ideas on quickchecks or troubleshooting?

I will try these tommorrow morning since it is too late now. Thank you promptly posting back to me! And thank you for the welcome!

PS I guess I should have noted that I have the automatic tranny ... sorry!

Old 04-08-2005, 01:35 AM
3rd Gear

Ar eyou sure it's an oil drip. Could it be water?

Old 04-08-2005, 01:48 AM
1st Gear

Maybe because Id rather assume so but I think its more of a water consistency but it does smell like a fluid of some sort. And it is a bit slippery but smells nothing like the engine oil or antifreeze. Almost a sweet smell actually. Could this just be runoff from the undercarriage? I didnt have the heating/cooling system on long at all, would it still to this moment be running off? Would that be a normal thing?

Old 04-08-2005, 02:11 AM
3rd Gear

Could be. That's why I asked.

Try putting a piece of white paper under the drip so you can get a clear picture of it's color and consistency. Water will eventually dry out; any oil will leave a greasy stain.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:17 AM
1st Gear

Yeah we did the paper trick and thats what I had just smelled so its definitely greasy. Not evaporating at all. Guess Im driving the Eclipse to work tommorrow AM and I'll check my poor new cars condition afterwards with some sunlight.

Thanks a bunch for all the help! I'll post my results tommorrow.

Peace!

Old 04-08-2005, 02:18 AM
3rd Gear

Good luck!
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Reply: Rattle underside of car ...