Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Caliper Rebuild Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Rear Brake Caliper Rebuild Question

2000 A6 2.7T Quattro 6 spd.

Rear caliper piston dust boots torn on both sides. Plan to rebuild. Calipers removed from vehicle. Special brake cube ordered & on it's way. All writeups I've seen talk about push & screw piston in to make room for new pads. Stupid question, but do you need to unscrew pistons them to remove them from the caliper housing? Since I don't have tool yet, I haven't tried. All I tried was adding shop pressure to inlet to see if I could blow them out. Can't.

Also, I haven't yet messed with the ebrake spring/lever on back of caliper, but are there seals in there I should be changing too.?

Is this the type of repair kit I need for rebuild? My piston bore is 38mm, but I haven't yet come across the snap rings or O-rings yet. I could expect the O-rings may go on ebrake end, but the snap rings???? Where do they go?

Buy Tru-Torque Disc Brake Caliper Repair Kit D351808 at Advance Auto Parts

Old 10-14-2011, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

couple of things .. your cube tool is most likely junk , dont bother .. most auroplaces will loan you that tool for free , you have to crank the piston back in while applying pressure . I have done it before with big *** needle nose but just go borrow the tool .

When i did mine i replaced the boot and seal on the front but just wound the rear back in . it is very difficult to get a rebuild kit with everything you need . if you do find a site post it . All i could find was one place in the UK that sold this stuff. Most "rebuild" kits are a seal and dust boot

On the rears that ebrake mechanism is mostly what fails and mine even all coroded around the seal . Your best bet is a coupl;e of rebuilt calipers , slap em on and move on ..