Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear bumper repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:02 PM
1st Gear
Default rear bumper repair

I was wondering if anyone has tried to repair their damaged rear bumper. I have a small peice right below the passanger tail light missing and a gash below that. I know there are plasic repair adheasives that could fix this, but I've never tried it before and would hate to ruin the bumper.
So, any advice about trying to repair the rear bumper would be helpful.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:47 AM
3rd Gear

Do you have any pics?
There are pretty good Plastic Epoxys out there you can reattach the missing part with.
As far as the gash/hole, you should be able to patch it up with fiberglass cloth and resin (or even bondo would probably work as good), but you'll have to re/paint the whole bumper. It is hard to find a paint that matches the Audi paint, unless you go through the dealer.
Can't you shop around for a used bumper (hopefully the same silver color)?
Try Shokan or Force5Auto. They may have one for you with the right price.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

I've had a few quotes, and shipping is just as much as the cover so I dont really want to go that route. I was also thinking of fiberglass or bondo, but I wasnt sure how well they would work because the cover is plastic. The best solution I can think of is create a backing and use plastic epoxy to reform the damaged areas. But I could easily screw this up, so Im lookin to see if anyone else has tried this.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:38 AM
3rd Gear

When my Crossfire was lightly rear-ended, there was a slight dent and some scratches in the rear plastic bumper. The shop planned on fixing it with some very light bondo -- so it can be used on plastic. In the end, at my request, they did not use the bondo and were able to get the depression out by heating the plastic so it reformed. Not sure how they did it, but you can't see the dent and that was the outcome I wanted. They did remove and repaint the whole bumper however.