Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Fog Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 05:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Rear Fog Light

I wanted to know if it is possible to disconnect the rear foglight. I just hate the fact that their is only 1, and it looks like the other is out or burned out (when in reality Audi only made 1 work)..Would it be as simple as taking the bulb out? Or is their more to it?

Old 04-06-2007, 05:35 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Rear Fog Light

well, there is a mod for that if you would want both of them to be on instead of just the one. let's see if i can find it.........ahhh, here it is: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext20.shtml
I suppose if you didn't want any fogs at all at the rear though, you could always just not pull your headlight selector out the full 2 clicks and just have the front fogs on. either that, or if you really wanted to for whatever reason, you could just pull the bulb out, but i don't see why you would need to when you can just not turn it on.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:11 AM
1st Gear

One fogg light, tahts EU law. Thas why audi has just one

Old 04-07-2007, 04:55 PM
3rd Gear

My 2003 has two. Of course I'm in the USA.

The easiest action is just not use them as advised above. But what do you care what they look like from the back? They are there to keep the idiots from running into you in bad weather.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ppgoal

My 2003 has two. Of course I'm in the USA.

The easiest action is just not use them as advised above. But what do you care what they look like from the back? They are there to keep the idiots from running into you in bad weather.
maybe he just thinks that it looks dumb because it looks like there's a light burnt out on one side when there's really not. i know that if i ever turned mine on, i'm sure that people would be telling me that i've got a burnt out bulb. most people don't have any idea that there's supposed to only be one, well in some places, so maybe he thinks that it'll diminish the appeal of the car because it looks like there's something broken.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:58 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help Mustang. I didn't know pulling out the first **** only does the front fog lights, while pulling it all the way does both. I felt like an idiot after I learned this lol.

And Mustang hit it on the head when he said "MOST" people would think the bulb is burnt out, and I wouldnt want that. I like my Audi looking beautiful, and the one bulb on the back might surprise people.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:49 PM
1st Gear

are you SERIOUS? I was about to take the whole trunk apart thinking that there was an electrical short!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

I don't think it's EU law to have only one rear fog lamp. I see loads of cars with two and frankly one makes sense while two looks like someone is riding the brake pedal.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:58 PM
3rd Gear

Obviously for some reasons, Audi thought that just one rear fog light may prevent any confusion with the brake lights, although any intelligent and reasonable person would agree that a FOG light should only be used during period of dense FOG, when the VISIBILITY is extremely IMPAIRED.
Why people drive with the fog lights on during fair weather or even during the day? I guess anyone can come up with the right epithet to depict this type of drivers...
If traffic officers would enforce in every state the laws concerning authorized/mandated illumination, then probably we won't see too many idiots who are blinding the oncoming traffic with the extra lighting just because...

One or Two - that's the ECE Regulation:

In Europe and other countries adhering to ECE Regulation 48, vehicles must be equipped with one or two bright red "rear fog lamps" (or "fog taillamps"), which serve as high-intensity rear position lamps to be energised by the driver in conditions of poor visibility to enhance vehicle conspicuity from the rear. The allowable range of intensity for a rear fog lamp is 150 to 300 candelas,[15] which is within the range of a U.S. brake lamp.[5] For this reason, some European vehicles imported to the United States have their rear fog lamps wired as brake lamps, since their European-specification brake lamps may not be sufficiently intense to comply with U.S. regulations, and in North America rear fog lamps are not required equipment. However, they are permitted, and are found almost exclusively on European-brand vehicles in North America — Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, MINI, Land Rover, Saab and Volvo provide functional rear fog lights on their North American models. The final generation Oldsmobile Aurora also had dual rear fog lights installed in the rear bumper as standard equipment.

Most jurisdictions permit rear fog lamps to be installed either singly or in pairs. If a single rear fog is fitted, most jurisdictions require it to be located at or to the driver's side of the vehicle's centreline — whichever side is the prevailing driver's side in the country in which the vehicle is registered.[15] This is to maximise the sight line of following drivers to the rear fog lamp. If two rear fog lamps are fitted, they must be symmetrical with respect to the vehicle's centreline.[15] Proponents of twin rear fog lamps say two lamps provide vehicle distance information not available from a single lamp. Proponents of the single rear fog lamp say dual rear fog lamps closely mimic the appearance of illuminated brake lamps (which are mandatorily installed in pairs), reducing the conspicuity of the brake lamps' message when the rear fogs are activated. To provide some safeguard against rear fog lamps being confused with brake lamps, ECE R48 requires a separation of at least 10 cm between the closest illuminated edges of any brake lamp and any rear fog lamp.[15]

Old 11-25-2009, 07:53 PM
3rd Gear

If I ruled the world, anyone with their fog lights on when not needed would be shot. Ok here is a short list of all the people who would be killed, in no particular order:

1. not turning on your headlights when it is dark out. If you are too stupid to not know your headlights are not on, then you should not contaminate the gene pool.

2. not turning your headlights on when it is raining.
3. having 2 rear fog lights - I know I will lose some Audi friends
4. failure to signal
5. tailgaters
6. SUV/Crossover drivers and their children
7. if I can hear your music in my car, you will die
8. people who use turn lanes as passing lanes
9. 6000k and up HID headlight/foglight owners
10. failure to understand a 4 way stop.
11. if you get confused at a round about, say hi to the tailgaters.
12. anyone with aftermarket hid's in non projector housings. That includes EVERY truck.

12. As supreme ruler of the world, I am exempt from any and all of my current and future rules.

Quick Reply: Rear Fog Light