Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear light missing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Default Rear light missing?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to Audi's, but you all seem like a bunch of good people so I joined this forum.

OK-
I bought a 2001 A6 2.7t a week ago and love it. However, when I removed the cover underneath the trunk lid to replace the right side tail light last night I discovered that there was no harness and no opening available like there is on the left side. It doesn't make sense that Audi would only have 1 functional tail light when there are clearly two available lenses. Is this common?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Default RE: Rear light missing?

i suppose you are talking about the lights on either side of the lisense plate (rear fog lights) I just asked about this because i was replacing one of the lisense plate lights and saw the same thing and the answer I got was that if you have both of them on it looks too much like tail lights instead of just one so it will make people see you better. I think you can buy assemblies and wire it up if you want but stock just one works.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:33 PM

Ahhhh. It really had me baffled. Well, now I can take it to inspection with peace of mind. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

Both of my lights on either side of the license plate light up when I pull the switch for rear fogs. I assume the previous owner did this for me though....I've never actualled looked at the wiring.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:14 PM
3rd Gear

It may depend on the modelyear. I've seen this subject before and checked my 2003 - both rear fog lights work. The previous owner did not do any customization.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:44 PM

ah yeah mine is a 99 so a lil older....had my moms boss check his 03 and both work for him

Old 08-10-2007, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

THere is supposed to be only one rear fog light. I use it as the ( get off my *** light) cause it is soo bright

Old 08-11-2007, 05:28 PM
1st Gear

Well damnit, this has had me confused since i purchased the car. SO aparently only the Left one is wired in the US and the RIght in Europe... To me, it looks like you have a tail light out, if thats what you drive with. I have been keeping my fog lights off becaues i thought one was out and i didnt feel like getting pulled over. I'm thinking about opening it up and either A, making them both come on, or B just disconnecting hte existing one... its not all that necessary. I think cops wouldnt know the difference, probably more likely to pull you over for one being on.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

u can turn on your foglight without turing on the back fog light by just going to the first foglight setting if you go all the wya to the last setting on your headlight switch thenu turn on both the front and rear.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

I figured that out last night when i stared at it for a few minutes lol. I'm a bit happier now

Quick Reply: Rear light missing?