Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

refreshing automatic transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 03:10 PM
1st Gear
Smile refreshing automatic transmission fluid

Although my 2001 Audi A-6 2.8 FWD only has 65000 miles on it. And the ATF is original. I have driven her through a number of track DE's in the last couple of years. Mostly in the high heat,and pushing the vehicle capability limits of the automatic transmission at Heartland Kansas, and Hallett Oklahoma, in the Midwest.
For the most part, I would still put this car in showroom condition. And at this point, I seem to have no discernable transmission issues. (No vag com faults etc.)
However, I just cant seem to buy into this lifetime automatic transmission fluid touted by Audi. ( old school tells me the crud has to accumulate somewhere?)
My question being, Is it prudent to flush the transmission at this point? And if so, Is it possible to do myself? (with decent mechanical skills) or, do we need to seek out the professional to skin my wallet?...........Thanks

Old 08-28-2009, 04:21 PM

Check the fluid, if it doesn't look or smell burnt I'm sure your ok, they use a very high quality full syn ATF and the fluid is cooled and filtered..you'd have to really abuse it to break that fluid down.
OK, if you decide to change it anyway, pay the price at Audi..just make sure they do the full flush not just the transmission but also the torque converter .. I'm sure they will but clarify this. Let us know what it cost.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

Ok, with no way to check fluid? No way to change a filter? How might you suggest I check this on a 2001 A6 FWD 2.8?

Old 08-28-2009, 05:24 PM
2nd Gear

You should be having the level checked and checking it for leaks and seapage. As for the fluid and filter change replace the word Lifetime with 90K miles. When it's time or if you choose to do it now it does not get flushed just drained, replace the filter and seals and refilled. You will need to have a pro do it for you not some chain lube place. It can be difficult to do on your own. I've done it what a PITA. But you are 100% correct, whenever you hear Lifetime you know somebody is BSing you. It should be refilled with Audi or Esso fluid I used Pentosin but have heard it may not be as good as Esso-(they make Audi fluid.)

Old 08-28-2009, 08:56 PM

No such thing as a lifetime fluid, even synthetic. I was an MB tech for 10 years, and if they say lifetime, they must mean the life of the transmission, or warranty, and do not apply to you. You are a severe duty user. And if it were a lifetime fluid, MB would use it.

Just use some Redline ATF or Amzoil. Much better in every way, ask the racers.

Last edited by renaissance_warrior; 08-28-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:48 AM
3rd Gear

Does MB use Redline ATF or Amsoil? Even if it doesn't, are any of the two on a compatibility or "meeting specs" list?
just curious...

As far as the Audi, according to the ZF's TE-ML11 list of approved lubricants, none of the two above are mentioned.
Similar to your line of reasoning, if both were that good, then Audi would have used them.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:47 AM
2nd Gear

Thing is, we're talking about a trany that costs $$$3-4000 to rebuild and $$$5-7000 to replace. You change the fluid every 90K compared to every 30K like everyone else. I would stick to the Audi fluid or Esso, even though I used Pentosin and it works fine. It's just not worth the risk or aggravation to use any other. (although I'm sure there are others) If we blow our transmissions the repairs will cost more than the car would sell for.

One thing I can say for sure, it is such a PITA to do you almost have to learn how to do it yourself because We seem to be the only breed willing to nurse these friggin cars.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:28 PM

Changing fluid and filter between 75 and a 100K wouldn't be a bad idea, but I'm fairly convinced the transmission fluid if sent to a lab like Dynalene Laboratory Services and others would still be considered good assuming nothing regarding the transmission had been overly abused..it'd be interesting to take a sample for analysis before going thru that expensive flush which takes special equipment. Maybe a call for a lab fee is in order although I'm not sure how I'd get a sample?

Jackmup..your right about the nursing issue but people do it with airplanes, boats and hot-rods..why not personal cars, especially a quality ride like the audi...it does return the favor. As a fairly new Audi owner, I'm starting to think Audi owners (at least those who take the time to come to the forums) are very protective of these machines.

This may be a better source for testing and I think we can get a sample from the T converter?
http://fluidtesting.com/

Last edited by mystrodo; 08-30-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: adding link
Old 08-30-2009, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

OK guys, After reading your res ponces, I still am waiting for a reasonable response.
Once again, A 2001 A-6 2.8 FWD Auto /w Tiptronic,65,000 miles. Impeccably maintained(no leaks,seeps,or errors) with very easy usage except for extreme circuit driving approx. four times a year where I red line the entire system big time in high heat of the Midwest and push this vehicle to its absolute limits.
So, after 9 years with the original trans fluid, irrespective of low mileage usage, Does it behove me to flush out Audi's lifetime fluid and refresh? (and no boys, there ain't no filter to change). Or do I drive the crap out of this tranny for another 25,000 miles or so before I give it a second thought? For those in the know the 2.8 auto already has a tranny lag that suxs, so any competent thoughts are much appreciated.... Thanks...

Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 PM

Here's my take on it. Mobil 1 makes an "extended range" oil - 15k miles I think is the highest. If you put that in your car and drove it the way you do, would you leave it in for 15k?? I doubt it. Hell, Mobil 1 even recommends against it - "severe" driving - ie - racing, bumper/bumper traffic, etc are all recommended to shorter change intervals. Soooooo, why wouldn't you do the same for a "lifetime" fluid? In the scheme of things, the tranny fluid is cheap compared to tranny repairs. So, just get it done and beat the hell outta it for another 60k...

Quick Reply: refreshing automatic transmission fluid