Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regulator or Clips: Windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Default Regulator or Clips: Windows

I have a 2002 Audi A6 3.0. I have issues with both my windows on the passenger side. They both have similar symptoms. They both go down with no problem but when I try to raise them, they raise about halfway down and then they drop again.

They differ because although I can just raise the windows by pressing the switch and using my hands, the back one seems to have some "play" and if I push down on it a little, it "falls back on track" and will raise as normal (this problem is once every month or so..

The front passenger window on the other hand will stick half way and will only close if I raise it with my hands. it has no play downwards, and has not worked properly at all since the symptom started.

I have read multiple posts, but am confused as to which diagnosis it is. Audi told me the front is the regulator and is about $500 to change. I would hate to pay that if its (2) $15 clips. It seems like it could both from the posts in this forum.

Any help is appreciated...

Old 08-14-2007, 01:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Regulator or Clips: Windows

Sounds like your clips. They break all the time. Do a forum search on for them if your going to replace them yourself.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:30 PM

its the cheaper way to go, so i may try it either way, but I can only find clips for the front.

The guy at audi said that the back "he thinks you have to change the entire regulator".

Have you guys heard the same?

Or are there clips for the back as well

Old 08-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Site Moderator

The clips are only available for the front windows, the rear window regulator has to be replaced.
But if you wanna save money you can get the rear clip from a junkyard but i don't know how reliable that would be cause they ARE plastic.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:03 PM
3rd Gear

I agree, change the front clips first to see if it fixes your problem. More than likely it will, I just did my drivers front door. It was rather simple and took maybe 1hr. I agree, get some junk yard ones for the rear, then use some epoxy on the weak spots of the clips to ensure they will not break. When you take the front clips out you will see exactly why and how the clips break. Just cheap plastic.

Jeff

Old 08-15-2007, 03:08 AM
1st Gear

I work in composites like casting and mold making, do you thing making a mold of the clips, and casting it is a better material, would maybe extent the life of the clip? seems like a badly engineer thing?
Im down to try?

Urbanrev

Old 08-15-2007, 04:38 AM
1st Gear

Would be an interesting experiment. Let us know how it goes...

Old 08-15-2007, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

I have a similar issue but my windows in the rear cant be controlled by the people sitting in the back. i have pressed the lock/unlock several times but that doesnt seem to be the issue. Basically, if you sit in the back you have no control over the windows, but i can roll them down with my front controls. Anybody heard of this?

Old 08-15-2007, 08:19 AM
1st Gear

Same problem here. In my case it is the actual unlock-lock button. If I hold the unlock button down, the rear windows re-gain control, if that makes sence. Unfortunately the whole driver's side control unit needs replacing which is not cheap, so I've left it.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:28 AM
1st Gear

i purchased my clips on ecstuning and examined my clips...sure enough one of the clips where broken...basically the clips are attacked to a wire that is pulled through the window regulator motor. tehre is something of a box with a a slot on the top and bottom the cable has a metal sqare permnamently attached to the cable. this metal square goes into the plast regulator clips box. the box on my clip was broken on top....so im assuming that it could be the same for yours becaues it will not go up but goes down. when it goes up it pulles only on one side so it cause the window to be out of track and jaming itself. so when u ge tthe new clip it realigns it self and its smooth get some grease if you do it. because your gonna need to re lube the track.

Quick Reply: Regulator or Clips: Windows