Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reliability of a 2.7t

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 PM
1st Gear
Default reliability of a 2.7t

im in the works of buying a 2001 2.7t. first of all just to make sure it is a twin turbo? some people i know argue with me that bi turbo is different then twin turbo and that there is only one turbo. also im wondering how reliable these cars really are? ive read a ton of different stuff from they are the most inexpensive and best car to it being a complete night mare. im trying to have the benifit of the doubt. the car is owned by its first owner who is a woman. but the problems that ive read about seems to be quarky weird problems like weird electrical problems and stuff like that? does anyone have any info for me? thanks for all the help

Old 05-06-2008, 11:03 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: reliability of a 2.7t

yes it has two 'small" turbos, it is the same engine that was in the b5 s4. Don't listne to whomever is teling you that. They obviously are cluless and talking out of their you know what. Both turbos act in parallel, at the same time congtrary to what some people new to these cars think.
Most expensive???? as compared to what???? a yugo... yeah? a ferrari... no... a same year 2.8, yes, a same year 4.2, prob not... it is all relative.
I would say that overall they are less reliable than the non turbo V6 or V8 A6 but it is all about how you maintain and drive it. It needs to be taken care of, maintained religiously, warmed up and cooled off.... and it'll mostly be fine... but an Audi is an expensive car to maintain unless you can do all the work yourself.
I have had no electrical issues, earlier years like 00 an d01 were more prone to them... I did coil packs, control arms and tie rod ends recently, auxiliiary water pump, CV boots.. and maintenance....
YOU should search this forum and also read the very first topic in the A6 forum...the top sticky..

good luck

Old 05-06-2008, 11:28 PM

Well put. When I bought the car I knew that repairs and basic mantenance would be costly, but hey at least its not a ricer.... Also Since I am chipped and I do tend to be a bit of a led foot of the line I expect my turbos to last a little shorter than they would stock. Either way you will love an audi no matter what it is!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2000 2.7. It is an expensive car to drive. I love my car, but it has probably had $10 or $12,000 in repairs over the last year and a half. I would never ever buy another Audi. I hope that you have a much better experience than I've had. Good Luck.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:48 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Cmoney

I have a 2000 2.7. It is an expensive car to drive. I love my car, but it has probably had $10 or $12,000 in repairs over the last year and a half. I would never ever buy another Audi. I hope that you have a much better experience than I've had. Good Luck.
Can you elaborate on the kind of problems you had with the 2.7, and did you do your own mainrtenance and repairs? What is your mileage?
I am curious as to what the labor cost was vs. parts. Thx!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:04 AM
2nd Gear

10-12k!! wow you might have bought a car that was beaten on ??

Old 05-07-2008, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Cmoney

I have not put 10-12K into maintenance cost since I have owned my 2.7T, and that has been 8 years. I have have put alot of money into my car, but that was my own personal doing! 10-12K.....sounds like that car was abused! God forbid when I have to get rid of my A6, but when I do, I will replace it with another AUDI!

OOOO

Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 PM
2nd Gear

my next car wil also be an Audi whether a B8 or 03 RS6 or other
I have put over 10k in mine but in repairs!! As Joeski, said, it was my own doing, mostly mods and service., not repairs.
I also hav a warranty so my repairs were almost all covered under warranty(coil packsm CV boot, water pumpm control arms...)

Old 05-07-2008, 12:43 PM

I have had mine for about 2 years and bough it right in that mantinance stage and we have spend a good amount of money on repairs. We have spent about $2000 in 2 years, but mostly on stuff warrenty would cover, but we didn't have one [:@]. We have replaced a good amount of suspension bits. And now need to replace the joint again because the dumb guys didn't noticed my warpred rotor... It caused havoc on the front suspension, but will be replaced soon! The TB and Pump need to be done within the year, but the good news is once thats done it should be worry free for a while (65xxx miles) so I'm hoping to have it for a while (FINGERS CROSSED)

Old 05-07-2008, 01:42 PM
2nd Gear

I recently got my 2001 audi a6 2.7T (tiptronic) 2 months ago with 45k miles on it.... Putting the APR chip, Bipipe, intake and dvs on it pushed the small turbos.... I blew my turbos 3-4 days ago with 55354 miles. The car was only chipped for 6,000 miles of the 10k. If you are looking to mod this car with a chip I would say watch out. If you are looking for a great car without adding anything you are in great shape. Just don't launch to much with those small turbos !!! I sadly have to put ko4's in my car which is going to run 2988 with inlets/gaskets and a ko4 unit. At the dealer it is going to run anywhere from 1500-2000k. I also have had to put 2k into it with random fixes, MAF (mass air flow) and CV boot. If you don't have a great job or money I would say this car is NOT the car for you. Not being mean just a lot of sudden charges!

I raced almost every weekend with the mods on the car. If you treat the car right and baby it, I could see this car lasting stock for a long time or even chipped. Even with all the extra cost I would have to say I love my audi over any car. I guess that is the reason we keep putting money into our car, Right guys? haha

Quick Reply: reliability of a 2.7t