Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the Rear Calipers??!!??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Removing the Rear Calipers??!!??

I don't know if this is a stupid question- I want to be sure I am doing it right... I am going to rebuild the rear calipers- I have the kit. I am going to disconnect the caliper from the lines but am not sure how much to take apart in the Parking brake fixture.
I can disconnect the brake line-
Open the bleeder-
Then there is the parking brake fixture. I am not sure how to disassemble that...
Can anyone offer some advice- I don't want to start unscrewing things- that shouldn't be unscrewed- and I can't for the life of me find any kind of "how to" remove the rear caliper with the parking brake fixture.
There are TONS of FRONT brake videos and how to's...
That it is not explained too much makes me think it is easy-but being this is my first time- i want to be sure of what I am doing..
Any help is appreciated....

Attached Thumbnails Removing the Rear Calipers??!!??-dsc04564.jpg  
Old 06-26-2010, 12:13 AM
1st Gear

doesn't sound too bad Jim

get some Big *** pliers..

with the parking brake off of course and the caliper still in place pull up on the cable stop and lift it over the bracket, remove caliper. use channel locks to undo the spring. not sure about the actual parking brake mechanism but i would use compressed air to blow out the piston if possible, then you will see how it works i am sure. pull off bellows and seal , redress piston and remove rust etc, replace seal and boot per seal instructions, I am not sure but you may be able to wind in mechanism with piston out, but if not no big deal, put piston back and and wind in. That may be a bit tricky but i did mine and it was fine. You may see how the mechanism works and take it apart to clean it.
Good luck

Old 06-26-2010, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Iceman
That helped-I got it off and cleaned it out and such. Now I am going to put the seals and boot back on- and the kit and rings that I got from Advance- that I ordered- and the ones they have on the website- and they seem like they are too small.
Is it normal for the square cut seal to be visably smaller than the one that just came out?
I am trying to decide if I got the wrong part or not..?

Old 06-26-2010, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

well i kind of chucked mine away before I got he new ones so not sure .. the seal should definitely fit comfortably inside caliper . in fact i thought mine was too big . the boot is not as deep as the caliper piston but that is okay. i could have compared for you but my kit from ATE is for the front caliper.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

Well Jim guess what

I went to test my e brake and it didn't work .. muy own stupid fault. I didn't check that the ebrake asembly wasn't seized before putting the caliper back on . The actuating arm for the ebrake should release easiiy when you activate it to push the caliper in . even without the spring. Mine was seized solid on one side . My caliper was actually disintegrating around where the rubber seal was so new caliper for me. Anyway I workd it loose with some PB blaster so i don't seive my wheel but check yours. I would have taken it right apart but i could not figure out how to get the little arm off ( actyuator) even after taking the nut off. That is the key I believe so you can take the rubber boot off and grease up the inside mechanism.
Tell me if you were able to do this as if you are succesfull i might try it again.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

Jimmy did your rear rebuild kit include new rubber seals for the parking brake area ? If not does any one know where a kit can be obs=tained for a complete rebuild of the rear caliper including ebrake ?