Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing wheels - am I missing something?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:10 AM
Default Removing wheels - am I missing something?

I want to rotate my tires on my 02 A6 quattro, but when I removed the front wheel's lugnuts (bolts), I could not get the wheel to budge. I thought that was all there was to it, but am guessing it's just stuck really well on hubcentric spacer? I see there is a large 17mm hex bolt in middle, but I'm assuming that's for the axle. I sprayed PB Blaster w/out any luck. Any suggestions? This is a stupid job that should be easy - glad I wasn't on side of the road somewhere...

Old 07-12-2010, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

I had the same problem after a blowout at 70 MPH on the interstate. Just had to jack it up and kick the rim until it came loose.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 AM
1st Gear

If you have all the lugs off. Spray through the rim with WD40. Get a sledge and bang in the back of the tire hitting the tire not the rim. You may want to put a lug or two back on loose. so the tire does not fly off.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

Put the lug nuts back on the wheel very loosely and lower the car. Drive the car slowly and slam on the brakes. That should break the wheel loose.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

just kick the tire...that'll be enough to break it loose.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:56 AM
2nd Gear

I have used a sledgehammer o_0 (on the tire of course, it still took like 5 minutes of hitting it)

Old 07-12-2010, 05:52 PM

Yeah, I tried it the other day w/ a 5# hammer on the tires and I tried kicking them and it wasn't budging - even after the PB Blast - I was actually slightly turning the whole steering system. I guess I'll have to give it another shot tonight. Amazingly, this is a southern car - couldn't imagine what you rust belt guys go through!!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:56 PM
1st Gear

Those who are just saying kick it off sure don't live in a Northern Climate

Mine were bonded on to . was actually the hardest part of doing my brake job. WD40 is crap and is water displacement , nothing else.. use PB blaster or some other corrosion disolver, you can spray it in the lug holes, also you can use a scribe once you get your centre cap off to scrape around and spray in their too .. Just be patient. I used a rubber mallet to whack from the inside but it does take time and patience and PB blaster.. Your alluminum rims are bonded to your steel rotor. when putting your wheels back spay some copper based antiseaize spray on the surface of the rotor where it mates to the wheel to make it easier next time.

Last edited by Theiceman; 07-13-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:00 PM
3rd Gear

Aside from changing winter rims and summer rims 2x per year, I also pull off the wheels at least once and clean them real well. I take advantage of the dismount to coat the mating point at the hub with a little axle grease.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

I haven't been here too long but I'm going to tell my secret nut buster to everyone. This stuff will break anything metal loose. I restore classic BMW motorcycles and I couldn't do without this stuff: Aerokroil (spray can) or Kroil (liquid) by Kano Labs in the USA. This polymer penetrant has never failed to break loose even frozen pistons that had rusted to the bore for 50 years. I have used this stuff to break loose exhaust manifold bolts so corroded that thay were not recognizable as bolts. No connection to this company.

Quick Reply: Removing wheels - am I missing something?