Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Coil Packs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Default Replace Coil Packs?

I'm planning to replace spark plugs and filters on my car next week. Should I also replace the coil packs while I'm at it? The car runs well and I'm not experiencing any problems. Also, I noticed that prices range from $29 for a Karlyn coil, to $62 for a Prenco coil. Should I be concerned about a particular brand, or will any coil do? Finally, they sell a triple pack of coils (see here) that looks much different that the single coils. Which one should I be looking for?

My car is 2001 A6 2.7T with 98,000 miles. Still have original coils as far as I know.

Last edited by katiebear00; 03-17-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:26 PM
3rd Gear

Ignition coil for 2.7T is individual for each cylinder. 2.8 is the three pack deal. Karlyn coil as shown is for 4.2L engine.

Anyways, although replacing them at this mileage is a good idea, if the car is running fine, then I say you can leave them alone. Also for your future reference, genuinevwaudiparts.com sells Audi genuine coil pack for $59.04 each.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:56 PM

Awesome, thanks!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:43 PM

I had two coil packs fail on my A6 at around 96K miles at different times. Not fun at all. Check engine light began flashing, engine ran VERY rough and acceleration was very poor. Managed to get car to dealership. They advising replacing all at once but I declined. While I would not replace them unless they fail, it is a great idea to buy one or two and keep them on hand in case one does fail. They are very easy to replace and a VAG tool will tell you which cylinder has failed.

One tip - the geniune Audi coil packs have been updated. Make sure that you are getting the updated part number (sorry but I don't have the updated p/n to post)

Old 03-18-2010, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2004 A6 S-Line and JUST had all my ignition coils replaced under a recall. I got a letter in the mail about it. I never had a problem with them at all but hey, new ingnition coils. Pretty sure the recall is good for all C5's.....I would look into that.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Default The Everlasting coil stopper.

Originally Posted by katiebear00
I'm planning to replace spark plugs and filters on my car next week. Should I also replace the coil packs while I'm at it? The car runs well and I'm not experiencing any problems. Also, I noticed that prices range from $29 for a Karlyn coil, to $62 for a Prenco coil. Should I be concerned about a particular brand, or will any coil do? Finally, they sell a triple pack of coils (see here) that looks much different that the single coils. Which one should I be looking for?

My car is 2001 A6 2.7T with 98,000 miles. Still have original coils as far as I know.
Not much I can say that hasnt been said, BUT. Audi is being really good about the ongoing issue found in their inferior coils. My 05 A6 has been out of warranty for some time now. I too got the flashing MIL and had poopy engine performance, violent shaking ect. 72,000 gental miles.
Shot story long I called Audi and they said if I bring it in and it showes a code (usually P030? depending on the cylender) they will replace all of them. Even if you replace them at Bos's shop Big Audi will reimburse you... CALL FIRST. But you should call and see if they will "HOOK A BROTHER UP" with the '01, dont know how far back the issue goes. Just a thought. NEWBEE to the sight,,, Jason

Last edited by A660-pilot; 03-19-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Recoil from ignition coils

Does this recall apply to 03 A6 4.2?

Old 01-10-2011, 01:58 PM
1st Gear

I have a recall letter from April 2010 (Voluntary Emissions Service Action 28F2/J1) about this problem with ignition coils. Yesterday the flashing CEL of death came on and engine sputtering. OBD-II scanner shows misfire on cylinder 5 (P0305).

I ignored the recall and actually forgot about it until I did some searching on this forum. The coils cost around $40 each so this could easily save me $240+.

Now I just need to get it to the dealer, which is a good 20 miles away. Any thoughts on driving the car like this? Will it mess up the catalytic converter?

I have a 2003 A6 3.0 Quattro.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:35 PM
1st Gear

Just wanted to share the final experience. The Audi dealer near me was aware of the recall right away, this seems to be a very common recall. They recommended having the car towed in.

Rather than spend the money on towing, I used an OBD-II scanner to find which cylinder was misfiring (turned out to be cylinder 5). When I tried to take the coil out, only the top came off and I had a very tough time getting the bottom piece out with some needle-nose pliers. But after about 2 hours I was able to fish it out and put a new coil in.

After changing the coil, the check engine light was still on but not flashing. I had to manually clear the code with the scanner, then the car was running as normal again.

I was then able to drive the car to the dealer and they changed all of the coils in less than an hour. The experience with the dealer was very good, I definitely recommend anyone who is affected by the recall go and get this taken care of before any of the coils go bad!

Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

FYI, I recently had my coils replaced as part of the recall. Although my experience was horrible....which I just posted about

However, if you have this issue, call Audi customer service. They will pay to have your car towed into the dealer for the recall work.