Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Pads/Rotor Now Brakes Locked!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Replaced Pads/Rotor Now Brakes Locked!

I replaced my rear pads and rotors today and then I could not move the car at all. I don't know what I did wrong. I did release some brake fluid out of each caliper in order to turn in the caliper without the right tool. Bled each one just a little bit. Emergency brake adjustment makes no sense to me in the Bentley manual. Tried to adjust but between the removal of center consol AC and turning the adjustment nut...I don't get it. Both rears are locked. Front wheels turn fine. Maybe I got air in the lines? I'm at a loss.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:34 PM
1st Gear

There was no reason to remove fluid to compress your rear calipers, in order to bleed these brakes you need a vag com and a power bleeding system or damage to the anti lock system can occur.There should not be any adjustment needed to the parking brake unless it was not performing correctly. you may need to contact your local indy shop and get your calipers properly bled.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

Yep, it was kind of dumb to bleed the brake. Thought that would help compress the piston with the C-clamp while turning the piston. I did get the piston in and I bled each rear a little just to make sure no air got in. What could have happened? Should I pull it apart and re-do or tow it to my mechanic? I mean the wheels won't budge.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:47 AM
4th Gear

Normal way it to remove the cap off the master brake reservoir before compressing the pistons.. otherwise your fighting compressed fluid. I'd wonder if you didnt put the fluid under pressure.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

I did take the cap off. My guess is that the lines are under pressure. I can't even pull up the parking brake.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

Are the front and rear rotors the same or the same thickness? I've had these rotors for over a year and I ordered them with both front and rear brakes. Maybe I put the fronts on the rear?

Old 08-08-2009, 04:57 PM
4th Gear

No.. the fronts and rears are different. Bigger and vented in the front. Crack your bleeders and see if theres too much pressure. You really should try to get those parking brakes correct too.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:37 AM
1st Gear

Went to re-inspect and finally discovered a problem. The rotor was the wrong size. The width of the hub is a full 1/4 inch wider. Autoparts Warehouse send the wrong size and they look exactly the same without measuring. Pick'n up a new set manana. Should solve the main issue. I always take an old rotor in to compare but bought these online a year ago. Won't do that again!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:47 AM
4th Gear

Wow.. how did eveything fit if too wide? You'd think the pads wouldnt go on, or be very hard doing so...

Old 08-10-2009, 08:37 AM
3rd Gear

It is most likely the depth of the hub not the width of the rotor.

Quick Reply: Replaced Pads/Rotor Now Brakes Locked!