Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing coolant

Old 06-12-2007, 07:37 PM
1st Gear
Default replacing coolant

i have a 99 a6 2.8and is planning to replace the anifreeze,anyone ever did thisjob before?

Old 06-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: replacing coolant

First of all audi's don't use antifreeze, you can only use the factory coolant... The best way to change the coolant since you don't have the coolant flush machine is to just open the drain plug on the bottom of the radiator on the driver's side, and make sure the expansion bottle cap is OFF. After the coolant is drained fill the coolant to the top of the resivior start the engine and leave the cap off until it heats up and the thermostat opens and circulates the coolant. Fill the coolant again then put the cap on and test drive the vehicle. After the test drive check the coolant level and top off the level if needed.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:13 AM
1st Gear

thanks alot,sounds easy enough

Old 03-02-2008, 02:31 PM
1st Gear

Antifreeze/coolant are the same thing. As long as you completely flush it you can use whatever you want. Just keep checking it to see if it needs to be topped off in case there were any air bubbles.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: daredevil1

Antifreeze/coolant are the same thing. As long as you completely flush it you can use whatever you want. Just keep checking it to see if it needs to be topped off in case there were any air bubbles.
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! G12 coolant is the ONLY thing that can be used in and AUDI cooling system. Mixing green antifreeze with G12 would turn it into Jello and clog up our system, or dissolve the cooling system parts in a hurry.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:07 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

ORIGINAL: daredevil1

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! G12 coolant is the ONLY thing that can be used in and AUDI cooling system. Mixing green antifreeze with G12 would turn it into Jello and clog up our system, or dissolve the cooling system parts in a hurry.
Please forgive the Devil he is new to Audis.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Site Moderator

Its all good, now he knows.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:55 PM

Ok I have a question for your auditech79 or anyone who knows. I am constanly replaceing coolent on my 2.7t. I removed the tank, (didnt disconect hoses, but moved it) and found that the plastic engine cover "5V' on the side was soaked in coolent. it seems as if the coolent is leaking from that hose, but im not 100% sure, The leak is not horrible I have to put in coolent every 3 or 4 months.

Now the question is, how much is it find a leak and replacea hose. And is this somthing i need to be worried about. Would it bea good ideato ask them to do it when i get the TB replaced?

Thanks in advanced for the help!

Old 03-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Site Moderator

My bet is your over 70K+ miles correct?
Have you replaced the coolant after run pump yet?
Thats the most common cause of slow leaks on the 2.7T, mine was leaking for half a year like that (no coolant hitting the ground) topping it off every other month or so. Its the pump thats burried under the intake manifold, so when it leaks it runs down the back of the motor and accross various lines.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:45 PM

65000, thanks for the help, there are sometimes small drips on the pavement, but nothing noticable

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing coolant