Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the heater core

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Default Replacing the heater core

I need instructions on replacing a heater core in a 1996 Audi A6 Quattro?

Old 11-07-2009, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

I actually am in process of doing the same for A4 B5. According to the manual, it looks like a huge job.
Have to remove A/C line connections, coolant lines, entire lower dash and instrument panel.
I haven't see a DIY write up which would be nice.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

I think there are a couple of DIYs on audiworld.com, but they do entail taking the whole dash out. If I recon correctly, I came across a post somewhere (maybe in this forum) describing the procedure without going through all that headache.
You can do a "heater core" search for A6 forum.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:35 PM
4th Gear

HEATER BOX

NOTE: Heater box can be removed without discharging A/C system.

Removal

Remove plenum tray. Remove wiper motor/linkage assembly. Remove center console. See CENTER CONSOLE . Remove glove box and driver's side tray. Remove footwell air outlet on driver's and passenger's side.
Remove rubber coupling between evaporator housing and heater box. Remove hoses and connecting bellows to rear heater duct. Remove connections between heater box and evaporator housing. Loosen cap on coolant expansion tank. Disconnect coolant hoses from heater box. Remove screw and tensioning strap.
Disconnect heater box electrical connections. Attach Engine Support Bridge (10-222 A/1) and Heater Claw (2075) to lip of heater box. Tighten nut on engine support bridge to loosen heater box. Remove engine support bridge and heater claw. Remove heater box.

CENTER CONSOLE

Removal & Installation (Rear)
Obtain radio anti-theft protection code. Disconnect negative battery cable. Unscrew and remove gearshift ****. Disengage gearshift lever trim from retaining clip. Remove gearshift lever trim.
Unclip cigarette trim plate, and remove self-tapping screws. Lift up lining, and remove self-tapping screw. Pull out rear air duct and disconnect electrical connectors. Remove rear air duct.
Slide driver's and passenger's seats fully forward. Pull parking brake lever up as far as possible. Carefully pry handle from parking brake lever. Remove screws and clip securing front of console. Remove bolts securing rear center console. Remove rear center console. To install, reverse removal procedure.
NOTE: Front center console can be removed without removing center section of instrument panel.

Removal & Installation (Front)
Remove rear center console. Unclip cover and remove nut. Remove radio. Pull out center air outlet, and remove bolts. Remove trim plates. Remove bolts and ashtray. Loosen bolts at front of console. Remove front center console. To install, reverse removal procedure.

The Engine Support Bridge (10-222 A/1) and Heater Claw (2075) is simply a support bar to hold the back of the fan/box while removing.. not needed if your careful.