Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse not engaging

Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Reverse not engaging

I have a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T. Few days ago I started to feel that the reverse is not engaging properly. When I go to work in the morning, it works fine. But for the rest of the day, I need to push some gas to go reverse. It is running fine in the forward. Its an Automatic transmission. What could be the possible reasons behind this?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Site Moderator

You really need to pull the fault codes from the TCM with a vag com. More often than not when there is a transmission problem it will have a fault code.
It could be a meriad of problems:
TCM
TR
Shifter adjustment
Sticking valve body/valve
Slipping clutches
and so on.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

So, can you please tell me, how much it will cost to repair? And how quickly I should repair this?

Old 08-29-2009, 06:14 PM
2nd Gear

You need to have it diagnosed before you can repair it. Go to an Indy shop or Audi and have them pull your fault codes that may give you an idea of what the problem is.

If it's an adjustment could be $150

on the other end of things if the band is gone could be $5000.

If you need to know something right now go outside and look under the car. If your transmission pan is wet and has drips of fluid on the bottom, the band is probably blown. If it doesn't and it's clean and dry then there is a good chance it's something else.

Either way these transmissions are so expensive to rebuild that you should get on it ASAP. You wouldn't want to let a minor adjustment or repair turn into a rebuild.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:56 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bodhayanc
So, can you please tell me, how much it will cost to repair? And how quickly I should repair this?
You need more info to answer these questions.

Do you have any codes?

Back gound: Most Audi's, over the last 15 years or so, have computers to control the different parts. (Most newer cars are also like this.) There are "code readers" that "talk" to the car's computers and read any code for the problem they report. Most autoparts stores have "generic" readers that most of them will use to pull the codes "for free." These may not read everything you need. You'll most likely need one for "VAG" (VW auto group).

You can get adapters to hook up your computer to read these codes. (VAG-COM is one of the better ones. Google it.) If you plan on keeping your Audi, it would be good to get one so you can read the codes. Even if you do not work on the car yourself it will save you money.

Your tranny problem could be as little as low fluid or as much as needing a new tranny.

So, do you know what (if any) codes are "thown."

Old 08-30-2009, 03:20 AM
1st Gear

My check engine light is on, and I am getting the codes P1606, P0421, P1423 and P1411. Any idea?

Old 08-30-2009, 05:43 AM
2nd Gear

Here are the code defenitions.

P1606 - Rough Road Spec Engine Torque ABS-ECU Electrical Malfunction

P1421 - Sec.Air Inj.Valve Circ Short to Ground

P1423 - Sec.Air Inj.Sys.,Bank1 Flow too Low

P1411 - Sec.Air Inj.Sys.,Bank2 Flow too Flow

Old 08-30-2009, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

I am not an expart. Can you please tell me, is any of the code related to the reverse gear problem?

Old 08-30-2009, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jackmup
You need to have it diagnosed before you can repair it. Go to an Indy shop or Audi and have them pull your fault codes that may give you an idea of what the problem is.

If it's an adjustment could be $150

on the other end of things if the band is gone could be $5000.

If you need to know something right now go outside and look under the car. If your transmission pan is wet and has drips of fluid on the bottom, the band is probably blown. If it doesn't and it's clean and dry then there is a good chance it's something else.

Either way these transmissions are so expensive to rebuild that you should get on it ASAP. You wouldn't want to let a minor adjustment or repair turn into a rebuild.
I told previously that when I go for work in the morning then the reverse is working fine. It is also working for the rest of the day but I have to apply gas to go reverse. You told that if band is gone then it is $5000. If the band is gone then will it work that way?

Old 08-30-2009, 03:00 PM
4th Gear

Sigh... please get the TRANSMISSON codes... there is no way we can answer these questions through the internet without them. None.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reverse not engaging