Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal Purple. What are your thoughts/experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 01:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Royal Purple. What are your thoughts/experiences?

I'm a Horsepower TV fan and it seems that they use Royal Purple for their vehicles. I know sometimes that a product is hyped up because they are a sponser on a show. I've heard people on here suggest Mobile1 synthetic. I was just wondering if Royal Purple is actually better.

As a side note, I went to Wal-Mart and bought a synthetic oil by the name of Syn-Tech (I think) and used it in my truck and used Rotella in my motorcycle and they both seemed to have worked well. No issues what so ever. My question is this. Are we just paying for a name when we buy the more expensive oils? Or is there really a difference.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:50 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Royal Purple. What are your thoughts/experiences?

Royal Purple is great stuff! Only a few bucks more than Mobil 1 but it seems to be a much better fluid, especially for a turbo.

Bob

Old 08-14-2007, 09:27 AM
1st Gear

Royal Purple isn't a true sythetic any more than Mobil 1 is. If you want a full synthetic you have to use Redline or Amsoil.

I like watching the Powerblock as well, but the reason they push Royal Purple is because they are a primary sponsor of the show just like Matco tools. At the end of the day, much of what you are paying for is the name and marketing.....oh and don't forget the purple color additives.

Considering the cost variance - I just don't think it is worth it.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

Costner - Have you or anyone you knowhad any experience with Amsoil or Redline? How much is that stuff?

I kinda figured Royal Purple was more sponsership on Powerblock than anything else. Bob, is that what you're using?

Old 08-14-2007, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

I stick with Castrol 5 w40 FULL synthetic. From what Ive read, it is a true full synthetic and not only audi, but a whole lot of other german car companies recommend castrol. Ive always wanted to try AMS and see what they are all about. As far as royal purple goes, I tried a lot of their products in my old acura integra. I was really dissapointed with most of thier products and went right back to mobile1 for oil.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Blade69

Costner - Have you or anyone you knowhad any experience with Amsoil or Redline? How much is that stuff?

I kinda figured Royal Purple was more sponsership on Powerblock than anything else. Bob, is that what you're using?
I have never used either Amsoil or Redlinebecause they are harder to find and I question whether they are worth the price. In all my years and all my cars I have never had an oil related problem so I often think people read too much into this stuff. Let's be honest - we aren't running full race engines turning 14,000rpms here, so the biggest concern for us should be the turbos - and any sythetic oil (whether it uses a class III or class IV basestock) should do just fine.

Thus - I'll probably stick with Mobil 1 unless I find anything to suggest it isn't doing the job. It is easy to find so I can stay consistent - and my indy shop uses it in everything from vintage Jags to new Porsches....and what is good for them should be good enough for me.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: jonny29

I stick with Castrol 5 w40 FULL synthetic. From what Ive read, it is a true full synthetic and not only audi, but a whole lot of other german car companies recommend castrol. Ive always wanted to try AMS and see what they are all about. As far as royal purple goes, I tried a lot of their products in my old acura integra. I was really dissapointed with most of thier products and went right back to mobile1 for oil.
Unless something has changed,and unless you are referring to the European version,Castrol isn't a "true" full sythetic. Just like Mobil 1 they claim they are, but they both contain Class/Group III basestocks (not Group IV). I guess there is some debate of this, but if you really want to know check outthe "Bob is the oil guy" www.BITOG.comwebsite and you can find a ton of info about this very subject.

This topic might be interesting to you as well:http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...art=1&vc=1

Old 08-14-2007, 02:46 PM

Check this out.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/afl.aspx

Old 08-15-2007, 11:05 AM
1st Gear

I work at a top end Audi/Porsche Dealership and we use all Castrol in our Audi's. Porsche uses mobil 1 0W-40.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

I've read everything. So basically, running a good synthetic or syn-blend will more than likely keep me out of the shop. I'm going to go to Wal-Mart today and price the Mobil 1 and Castrol. Those are the leaders. Although, I may compare the ingredients to the Syn-Tech. That may work as well. It worked just fine in my truck..

Quick Reply: Royal Purple. What are your thoughts/experiences?