Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS6 exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RS6 exhaust???

i am looking for an rs6 exhaust for my 2000 4.2. i know a few people on here have put this exhaust on theirs, however i called the dealer and they told me a new one was $1800. i havent been able to see anywhere on the forums about how much people have been paying. they parts salesman also asked me before he told me the price if it was going on a car that wasn't an rs6... i didn't see why that would matter so i told him yes it was going on my 4.2. just wondering where i should make some calls next or where i might be able to find a used one, and also how much i should expect to pay
thanks

Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: RS6 exhaust???

You can get something just as good for a lot less than that. I would check AWE.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:17 AM
1st Gear

thanks for the quick response, i have checked awe and they didnt have any exhasut solutions for the 4.2. looking around other places, i really only see the milltek exhaust which looks to be around the same price range. any other possible ideas?

Old 02-13-2007, 12:29 AM
3rd Gear

I would try a local shop that works on Audis. There is a local place that I take mine to for all it's work. They work on Audis and Porsches and really know their stuff. They can put just about anything on your car. AWE doesn't have a product online but they know ofa set up that would have worked on my 4.2 and it was from AWE. Their prices were a ton better than any stealer too.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

yeah i stopped by a local "vw, audi and some bmw" performance shop here in salt lake and asked about putting an RS6 exhaust on my 4.2, and his reply was, "you cant do that, it wont fit on the 4.2". when i explained to him that everything lines up, he said "oh yeah we've done it on like 3 before but it doesn't look good unless you get the RS6 bumper". i also asked then what other performance can i do? and all he really came up with was to getsuspension done. so im not too impressed with what the locals have to say. i will give awe a call now that i am talking to someone who knows whats going on! thanks again cary for the reply

Old 02-25-2007, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

Why can't we just go after market with the exhaust? What makes the factory RS6 exhaust so much better?

Old 02-26-2007, 12:14 AM
1st Gear

Who says we cant go aftermarket? Milltek makes a full cat back exhuast for the 4.2, they even have bigger downpipes, which would give better performance than the stock RS6. The point of the stock RS6 exhuast is that its factory, so its not an obnoxious sounding fart pipe (which the milltek is not either), its really well made (I believe stainless steel?), andwho can forget the notorious ovaltips?Also theMilltek or AWE exhuast is going to make more power than the RS6 will. Ive always wondered if warranty would be easier todeal with if they saw a factory RS6 exhuast on our cars verses an aftermarket one. Any ideas?

Old 02-26-2007, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: psx2dude

yeah i stopped by a local "vw, audi and some bmw" performance shop here in salt lake and asked about putting an RS6 exhaust on my 4.2, and his reply was, "you cant do that, it wont fit on the 4.2". when i explained to him that everything lines up, he said "oh yeah we've done it on like 3 before but it doesn't look good unless you get the RS6 bumper". i also asked then what other performance can i do? and all he really came up with was to getsuspension done. so im not too impressed with what the locals have to say. i will give awe a call now that i am talking to someone who knows whats going on! thanks again cary for the reply
You do NOT have to get the RS6 bumper to instrall the RS6 exhaust. If you have 2000 or 2001 A6 4.2, you can have the rear valence cut for the oval tips using a Dremel. Many folks have done that...piece of cake! owever, if you have 2002-2004 A6 4.2, not as easy, as the center point of the oval tips are a bit further outboard than the stock exhaust tips. This requires a bit of planning and skill to "realign" the RS6 ovals properly. If you take a look at my car, I had a master body-shop guy do all the work for me, and he said it was a major PITA, but he got it to work just fine. See the before and after pics below...

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Old 03-01-2007, 07:30 PM

I suspect that the AWE offering is B&B. I wonder whether the std A6 offering is designed for 2.7L or 4.2L, and whether their RS6 'upgrade' is a good alternative to the RS6 OEM. I was thinking of going Supersprint-- until I heard one of their units on a 1.8T...raspy, ewe.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

that looks very impressive boston driver,

reason i was thinking RS6 over aftermarket is well, you know RS6 is going to sound good, and i havent seen much review of the Milltek or any other catbacks out there, and pricing for these is around $1400. I was flipping through Quattro Quarterly and if you are a member of the Audi Club,some dealers are offering 15% off parts which makes thinking about RS6 even more appealing to me. i think i am just so hesitant about aftermarket because i dont want to spend so much and end up not getting the sound i was looking for in the exhaust.. also i think any exhaust mod would void the warranty, just seeming by the way the dealership is hesitant to sell it to me.

Quick Reply: RS6 exhaust???