Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam or not to seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Seafoam or not to seafoam

I was planning to use it in the crankcase and vacuum line. Has anyone tried it on the 2.7 or 2.8 a6? Lots of people say it's done wonders. Can it be bad for 2.7's turbos if i put it in the oil?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 PM
3rd Gear

Seafoam does wonders; however, expect to develop some oil leak at the usual spots after the crankcase use. FYI, your car has a 99% chance that it will develop oil leaks. The Seafoam is only expediting the process.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Seafoam does wonders; however, expect to develop some oil leak at the usual spots after the crankcase use. FYI, your car has a 99% chance that it will develop oil leaks. The Seafoam is only expediting the process.
oh wow i just got those leaks fixed 1000 miles ago. Lol. I want to pour it in the 2.7 but some people say that it's not a good idea since that goes thru the turbo. I thought it would be good to clean the oil lines for it.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

I did the seafoam crankcase treatment on my 2.7T about a year and half ago. I agree with hxgaser, it definitely hastened the onset/rate of my valve cover gasket leak. I really didn't notice any effect on anything else (but it obviously had to do something, right?). If you are going to do it I think the key is get the seafoam in there, drive for a reasonable distance (like 100+/- miles) and then change the oil. It is my understanding that you don't want it sitting around for too long after adding it.

-not an expert, just an enthusiast

Old 09-08-2011, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
I did the seafoam crankcase treatment on my 2.7T about a year and half ago. I agree with hxgaser, it definitely hastened the onset/rate of my valve cover gasket leak. I really didn't notice any effect on anything else (but it obviously had to do something, right?). If you are going to do it I think the key is get the seafoam in there, drive for a reasonable distance (like 100+/- miles) and then change the oil. It is my understanding that you don't want it sitting around for too long after adding it.

-not an expert, just an enthusiast
how about in the vacuum? if i suck it thru there? what are the pros and cons of that? would it foul the oxygen sensors?

Old 09-08-2011, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

If you fixed all the oil leaks recently, then you should be okay to use seafoam. The reason that the oil leaks develop is that old residue that dried/stuck on the seals become loosened by seafoam. Then the leaks develop. If you have fresh gaskets and seals, then you should be okay.

Seafoam will have no issues running through the turbos.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:39 PM
3rd Gear

Oh yeah, running seafoam through vacuum will not affect your o2 sensors. Just be sure to do it in a well ventilated area, because it will smoke out the entire neighborhood.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

Where is the vacuum line on a 2.7? I wanted to seafoam that but have no clue where to put it. Also, is it safe to use in the gas tank to clean fuel lines, or will it cause leaks there too?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:45 AM
2nd Gear

Safe to use in the fuel system, but plan on new spark plugs soon afterward. There are several places to tap into the intake vacuum. There is a vacuum line that runs off the engine on the driver's side front and over to the fender well. There is a "quick" disconnect on the fender well so this would seem to be a good place to tap. I need to do this myself but have been waiting until I am ready for new plugs and an oil change so let me know how it goes.

Bob

Old 09-09-2011, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

Ugh, then I guess not in the fuel system either. I was going to do this before I got my tune up and stuff done, but forgot. New plugs and evrything. So I guess I don't want to foul those up. Vacuum line only it is then.

Quick Reply: Seafoam or not to seafoam