Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously Major oil leak!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 04:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Seriously Major oil leak!

'98 a6q 2.8

So, I've been putting off replacing the cam adjuster seal(s) for way too long!!!

The other day, just as I got back in the car and started it, I hear major clicking from the engine.

I immediately shut it off and looked under the hood, then under the car, and I see a huge puddle of oil.

I had it towed to my house and started the job that is 2 years overdue.

Anyway,

I'm really hoping the rear main seal didn't blow out. I'm not sure exactly where that seal is, but here is a pic of where I think it is....

Since this gear is dry, is it safe to assume the rear main seal didn't blow?

Name:  trans.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  89.5 KB

And..... Yes, the coolant is leaking too.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Also,

I have the driver side valve cover off now.

Is the replacement procedure the same as the passenger side?

I have not noticed many people talking about the driver side..

Thanks.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

Where under the car was the puddle of oil. that gear looks like the flywheel it looking dry is a "better" sign that the main seal is no leaking. also how low was your oil level. What vicinity was the ticking coming from? some more basic info could help alot.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sgt_smoke
Where under the car was the puddle of oil. that gear looks like the flywheel it looking dry is a "better" sign that the main seal is no leaking. also how low was your oil level. What vicinity was the ticking coming from? some more basic info could help alot.

Its hard to tell where the oil was coming from because of the under engine cover.
The oil level was just about empty.
Ticking was from the valves area.

When I took the valve covers off, on both sides, the lower nuts were very loose.
It is possible the oil was leaking from the lower valve covers on both sides.

I have since replaced the pass side cam tensioner seals.

I started on the driver side seals. After I compressed the tensioner with the tool and unbolted them, there was not enough clearance to get the seals out so I put everything back together and buttoned it up.

Then I put oil in and started it up.
It ticked pretty loud then died.

There was not enough juice in the battery to start it again and I didn't have my charger/starter.

The engine sounds fine when it turns over. It only sounded harsh when it was running.
And, it only ran for 5 seconds or so.

I'm hoping it was ticking because the cam tensioners were still compressed and didn't have time to adjust resulting from no oil in the system.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

Last night I charged the battery and cranked it. It ran for a couple of seconds and knocked really bad then died. I could not get it started again.

Then I looked under the car.

Another puddle of oil.

So the major leak was not coming from the cam area.

I think it is coming from the crankshaft seal but I can't tell without taking the front bumper off and moving the carrier.

I've got the bumper off and the carrier loose, but didn't have time to get it all out of the way so I can't tell yet.

I guess I'll check the compression too and see if thats why its not starting.

Sure hope I didn't blow the engine!!!!

Old 11-22-2013, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

It will not loose much oil in that short of a period of time just cranking unless something in the oil system is broke. Are you sure the oil filter is on correctly? Oil cooler lines intact?

Old 11-22-2013, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

It was leaking from above and around the back of the oil filter housing/oil cooler....
The square box the oil filter screws to.

I assumed the oil was coming from the crankshaft and draining toward the oil cooler. I didn't have anyone to crank the car while I watched to see where it was coming from.

I investigated for a pretty long time and could not see the source of the leak.
I wasn't able to see behind and around the crank seal so that's why I assumed it was coming from there.

As far as I can tell, the oil is not coming from the upper part of the motor.

It's coming from somewhere low and between the crank seal and the far driver side.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Tech Certified

Your oil filter housing seal is probably turned to stone. From what it sounds like is that you cooked the engine. Remove valve cover , remove the camshaft caps & see if the bearings are scored.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear

You could also try rotating the engine via the crank shaft and see if you're able to turn it. If you aren't able to turn it, you're engine is pretty much shot.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:40 PM
1st Gear

If the oil is coming out fast it is leaking from where it is under pressure. It will not come out fast from a bad oil pan gasket or bad valve cover gasket.

I have known more than one of those engines to have the oil cooler fail due to rust. Most of the time it is the coolant that leaks I bet it is your oil cooler

Quick Reply: Seriously Major oil leak!