Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

short shifter install

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 03:22 PM
1st Gear
Default short shifter install

Anyone done a short shifter upgrade?I was tryingto find out how to remove the shifter boot. I searched the forum and dont see any information on this and I just dont want to break any clips.

Thanks

Old 02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: short shifter install

Can't help with advice, but when you get it done, appreciate if you would report back on what kit you used and how it seems to benefit your car. It seems like a relatively simple upgrade but my MT6 works great and I'm not sure of the value of spending the money.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

I will post pics tommorrow hopefully. I went to another forum and searched the topic and found how to remove the boot. The shifter is B&M I got off ebay for $79. The other places I looked for the shifter had them for mid 200's.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

I am always the last one on the route!!!! Didnt get kit until 6pm. Pics later. I can change the setting of the throw from any where between 33 to 49%. I'll see how hard it is too show each setting.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:23 PM
1st Gear

Okay here is the info B&M short shifter.Thekit has all the instructions you need, really detailed pics.

I set my throw at 49% of original. This is the lowest setting for the A6, the A4/S4 can only be set at 35%.

I got the setting wrong the first time and couldnt shift into 5th or 6th gear. After a little adjustment it was set correctly.

This is an easy DIY and take about 1hour. I would go thru more instructions but kits instructions are great. I tried to take pics and

post them but I have to resize them I will put them up later.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:15 PM
3rd Gear

Easy to do - got it. But what's the advantage over the OEM shifter? Is it how far you have to move the stick in order to shift from gear to gear? Does 49% means it moves 1/2 as far as stock when going from 1-2, 2-3, etc?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

The booklet states that the percent is the amount the throw is reduced. I can tell a huge difference in throw distance and also the shifter has less play and goes in gear better.( so yes distance reduced from gear to gear) I dont know what time difference shorter throw means for ET or 0-60 times. But if it goes in gear quicker it should shave time off of acceleration. I liked the way my stock shifter felt in my a6 as well as in my Coupe Quattro, but the short shifter is an improvement over both stocks. Might just be my mind but I am very happy with it so far. For the money I spent I think it is a worthy mod.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:41 AM
SoCal Crew Member

Good price on the B & M. I am skipping this for the Audi. No powershifts for me. I like the smoothness of the stock shifter.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

What year A6 do you have? I can only find SS for the 00 year. Is it really the same for all years? Mine is an 03?

Anyone else want to chime in?

Old 03-21-2008, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

Not sure if the year lines up, but I checked this for a potential S4. Very nice installation video:

http://shop.jhmotorsports.com/produc...mp;productId=2

This is the link to JHM's kit... it has a link for the installation video.

Quick Reply: short shifter install