Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy an A6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Default Should I buy an A6?

I just sold my B5 A4 and miss it. I need something bigger, and I can't think of a better car for the money than an audi. I'm concerned about getting a 2.7t though because I hear that they go out and should get a 4.2.

Is this a good buy?

http://madison.craigslist.org/ctd/1625381251.html

Old 03-07-2010, 05:28 PM
2nd Gear

all due respect to the 4.2 (if they came in manual I probably would buy one) but the 2.7t is a great engine. Yes turbos make things finicky but manual tranny for a car that weighs 4000 lbs and does 60 in 6 seconds if well worth it. The key when looking at 2.7t audis is prior history. Was it constantly redlined? Has it been chipped and for how long? most importantly did it recieve the regular maintainence it requires?

Also a fair warning about the 4.2, it is audis highest a6 trim and also has a ridiculous number of gizmos that could potentially go wrong. These wouln't effect driveability as much as luxury and convienience stuff.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:03 PM
3rd Gear

In my opinion -- WAY over priced for 110,000

I don't care what KBB or any of the other books say. Maybe $5,000 but no more. expect to put about $1 -2,000 in it soon.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:08 PM
2nd Gear

+1 ^^^

I would try and work the price down to at least 7000. Its true that these cars are expensive to repair, but its virtually impossible to talk someone down on an audi based on future repairs. There are just too many people who just want an audi and are none the wiser about thier needy needs.

I would MAYBE pay that much if it was a manual just because of the rareness factor, but I'm sure you can find a better deal through autotrader.com. Also don't be afraid to buy a car from across the country. Market demands are different here and there. Might be able to save a grand or 2 if you find a good deal, fly out have a look, then ship it back. Just a thought...

Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 AM
1st Gear

4.2 has the widebody. without widebody it looks like granny car IMO. Thats one of the reasons why personally I would never consider one without the v8. That car you are looking at has massive miles on it. Dont even bother. Should be half that.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by WoodShoe
4.2 has the widebody. without widebody it looks like granny car IMO. Thats one of the reasons why personally I would never consider one without the v8. That car you are looking at has massive miles on it. Dont even bother. Should be half that.
Your a hard bargener but probably closer at $3750

Old 03-09-2010, 01:21 PM
2nd Gear

Never buy a 3.0 that's for sure.
I personally would look for an A8 4.2 you'll get the extra room inside and in the engine bay. The 4.2 in the S6 looks a bit packed in there.

Don't let these seller BS you. at 90K you need some major maintenance and that's why they are selling them. I have yet to look at an Audi with a fresh TB and Cooling System. Quite the opposite actually. They usually say the price is FIRM until I say I don't want it because of all the work that needs to be done. You would be better off adjusting your budget up an extra $3000.00
and looking at younger cars with less mileage.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:23 PM
3rd Gear

The 2.7T bigots vs the 4.2 bigots. Always a fun discussion. IMHO, there is not a huge difference in the body styles although I also the like the fender flares on the V8. But the 2.7T, especially with a stick, is a blast to drive. Both have essentially the same interior and features. The 4.2 is a more bulletproof engine, but I read about a lot of suspension issues. The 2.7T has the risk of expensive turbo repair, but I've been lucky for 166k miles. The real secret is who owned it, and how they maintained and drove it. If you can find that out, plus get it checked out by a mechanic who knows Audis, you should be ok. Getting a $48k car for under $8k and driving it to 200k is not a bad deal. I looked up KBB values for my car today (deciding whether to drop collision for the summer) and it only values at $5-12k because of mileage.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 PM
2nd Gear

I concur ppgoal.

My own personal ideal setup is a 4.2L a8 as a daily driver with the a6 2.7t as a project car. I trust how reliable NA is, and the v8 has more than enough power to get me to work and back. The only thing more ideal would be a perfect swap of the 2.7t into the a6 4.2 body so I have a widebody project with manual, and a nice easy auto v8 for DD.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 AM
3rd Gear

Huffman -- Are you wacky???

Your ideal setup is two Audi's ???

Nothing else to do?
Is Denver so laid back and quiet you need to work on two Audi's for excitement?