Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this A6 4.2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Default Should I buy this A6 4.2?

Hi, I'd like to become an audi owner... from the autocheck (similar to carfax) it looks like it used to be a lease vehicle. Is that bad? Seems about the same as being a rental which is.. bad?

2000 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro, 73787 Miles, pics on ebay look great, inspected.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Or maybe these particular models have specific issues I should look for?

Thanks, any help is appreciated (hope I didn't post in the wrong topic!)

-KIK

Old 08-02-2006, 11:44 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Should I buy this A6 4.2?

Seems like a decent price, but if I could recommend one thing, find one with the sport package (the one you linked does not have it). Sure, you can upgrade wheels and suspension, but it is VERY hard to find melange sport seats on the secondary market. Trust me, I have been looking for a buddy of mine for over a year! The sport seats have much better lateral holding ability when you aer taking those twists and turns on the road. The stock "comfort" seats are just too flat.

Oh, BTW - "lease" does not equal "rental" This car was most likely leased to a company (corporate car for an executive) or an individual. You could always contact the sellet to see if it was corporate or individual lease. That info would be on the title.

Last, DO NOT TRUST CARFAX! Lots of stuff either missing, or incorrect. A guy on the AudiWorld allroad forum is fighting about info about HIS OWN CAR which is inaccurate, ahd CARFAX is not releasing the supporting evidence of the incorrect information. My last car had a major accident, about 9k worth of damage, but this did not appear on the CARFAX report when I resold it (although I disclosed the repair to the buyer). DO NOT TRUST CARFAX!

Old 08-02-2006, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Hmmm. Seats too flat. Might be something I can live with. I do hate how you tend to slip around on leather seats though, so I can see where you're coming from.

I've had trouble with is locating a 1999 - 2001 Black Audi A6, but I could just wait and look a little longer. Any great ideas on where to look? I've been using craigslist, ebay and carsdirect.

Yep I know not to trust carfax. I use autocheck, uses the same experian databases though. I'm aiming for a 1st owner, but aren't we all.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

Try autotrader.com and cars.com as well, but don't rush...take your time and find the right car. When I was shopping for the 4.2 last winter, I started my hunt in November. Finally found the right color/package combo, worked a great deal, but it was in Chicago. The deal was so ood, I flew out (with a friend) and we drove it back to Boston (after partying with the local AudiWorld crowd).

Old 08-02-2006, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

i got a 2001 4.2L with 42k miles going for $20,000....ming blue with every option and sport options...car is in near perfect condition

Old 08-02-2006, 06:49 PM

Seems like paitence or lack thereof is always the thing that gets us.

15k is my spending cap, so probably the latest model I could afford would be a 2000 similar to the model in the first post.

Thanks for the responses guys, I feel less alone :-) -KIK

Old 08-02-2006, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

I have been looking for while and I can't find any A6's in any model that say sport anywhere.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:04 PM
2nd Gear

I looked for quite awhile for mine. It has the sport package and you definitely wont regret that option. I researched ebay, cars.com, you name it--and I was on it. I live in Seattle and we have a delaership called Barrier. They have lots for Porsche, AUDI, Mercedes, Volvo, and VW. They all take trades in and dispurse these cars throughout the 5 lots. I went into Barrier AUDI and told them what I was looking for and they found the car in 4 days out of California. Best dealership experience EVER. No bullshit, excellent customer service, and guys, I closed the deal and drove away in 35 minutes. No 2 hour dealership BS. These guys only deal with top end cars in excellent condition and their certified program is the best. That is the next warning to you. DO NOT BUY unless it is certified. You will save a ton of $$ and the added security is worth having. I bought the car for low NADA book price and felt I got a great deal on a beautiful automobile. Try your local dealer or give BARRIER a call if you need a locator. 206.643.3000 Ralph Alexander was my sales agent and it was like dealing with a friend not an AMWAY or MLM sales guy--no offense to anybody working those beats. I was all about a good deal and new better than to go to a delaership, but after this last experience my attitude has changed....Good luck on your qwest.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:04 PM
1st Gear

Atorreon, I just bought a 2001 ming blue pearl A6 4.2 sport with 42k miles on it for $20,000, weird. I love the car so far, but like everyone one else on here, i took my time and searched for about 6 months until i found the right one. Its worth the wait....

Old 08-03-2006, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

How did you go about the search? I am using mostly autotrader but if you have suggestions I would love the input.