Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sideview Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Sideview Mirror Replacement

Sorry all, tried searching the forums for possible old related threads, but no luck. So I was in an accident a couple of years back in my 2001 A6 2.7L T, and after a couple of months since the car was fixed, I noticed a small kind of leak on my passenger-side sideview mirror where I was hit. Tried cleaning it, but the leak appears to be behind the initial film of the mirror, as now it has turned in to darkly-colored stained mirror. I just wanted to see exactly what it was I would need to replace in this instance...just the mirror glass itself, or do I need a whole new assembly?

Unfortunately since then have also developed a leak in my driver-side headlight cover, to where condensation has built on the inside of the cover, and has slowly becomed stained and foggy, pretty much filtering out any of the headlight trying to come through. Is there anyway it could be simple to replace just the cover? Tried eyeing it up, but for the life of me could not figure out how to get the cover off.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:23 PM
1st Gear

This is one of the issues I'm having as well. Seems like the only mirror replacements that I've found so far are "universal". Don't really want to do something like that. If anyone else has had this issue or found a solution, I'd really like to know.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:05 PM
1st Gear

I have this issue as well, any suggestions besides buying a replacement mirror from china via ebay. The ones on ebay has a blue tint and the one in my A6 is brown

Old 09-09-2012, 12:45 AM
2nd Gear

From what I've found the only other options are bloody expensive.
OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

And not so bad here, but they look blue too.
Aspherical Mirror Set [8D0857535E] - $119.00 : OEMplus.com, Original Equipment

Now this isn't a GOOD option, but if you have the auto-fading glass that has gone bad (red/brown) you CAN take the thing apart and drain out the fluid. Here are some pictures from when I did it. Again, I don't recommend doing it. You have to perfectly clean the mirrors and glass (like clean-room microfab kind of clean) and then glue the outer rim back on. I'll just say that mine isn't perfect and is slightly annoying (BUT at least i can see now!!).

Last edited by nm3210; 09-09-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:25 PM
3rd Gear

I have the OEMPlus mirrors nm3210 linked to and I LOVE them. My original mirrors turned themselves into brown mountain themed mirrors a long time ago. Now the aspherical (think blind-spot mirrors) are amazing.

You will not regret getting the OEMPlus mirrors, also note they are Genuine VW parts.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:19 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chihashu
I have this issue as well, any suggestions besides buying a replacement mirror from china via ebay. The ones on ebay has a blue tint and the one in my A6 is brown

Purchase a used assembly off ebay, car-parts.com or even from someone parting out an A6 on the one of the forums for cheap and install it. It doesn't even matter if color matches, you just swap the guts (or just the mirror) with your original part.

You just gotta make sure the mirror matches your original (power, auto dimming, memory etc).

Old 09-10-2012, 05:29 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by OGBULLYLOCDAWG
Purchase a used assembly off ebay, car-parts.com or even from someone parting out an A6 on the one of the forums for cheap and install it. It doesn't even matter if color matches, you just swap the guts (or just the mirror) with your original part.

You just gotta make sure the mirror matches your original (power, auto dimming, memory etc).
Well you don't need to match the auto-dimming, it's just an electrical connection that you can tape off/ignore (unless you like paying a gazillion more dollars).