Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slight overheating. should i be concerned? c

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 04:30 PM
1st Gear
Default slight overheating. should i be concerned? c

Brief recap here. I got stuck at a red light longere than i woulda liked cuz some idiot decided to turn hella slow. Its about 80°F out and while waiting for the light to change a second time i notice that my temp gauge slowly starts moving off center. Im first in line so light changes to green and i take off so pull into pep boys cuz i need some quick detailer so i took a chance to let it cool mind you when i pull in to the parking lot the needle is just enough off center to be able to see the line. I get back in and start up again and this time my needle is between middle and first bar (i know that part is normal cuz of the heat build up) my question is should i be concerned and start poking around my cooling system?

Thanks

2001 Audi A6 Avant quattro 2.8 V6 183,430 miles

Old 09-19-2014, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

Start poking around. Temp needle should always be centered when normal operating temperature.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Start poking around. Temp needle should always be centered when normal operating temperature.
how would i go about checking my aux fan? I did notice that as soon as i either started moving or revved my engine a bit the needle starts to go back to center. Can i check without having to put it in service position? I also have to top off my coolant every morning. I know i have a leak nd my expansion tank isn't really pretty to look at its yellow and old. Cracked maybe?

Old 09-20-2014, 07:33 AM
1st Gear

Fix any leaks first then work on the aux fan. There are lots of procedures available here or on Google. Do some searching. I had to replace my aux fan and coolant temp switch. Pretty easy but it does require service position.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

Fix any leaks first then work on the aux fan. There are lots of procedures available here or on Google. Do some searching. I had to replace my aux fan and coolant temp switch. Pretty easy but it does require service position.
ok so once again it did it today same thing waiting at a light and very slowly it starts migrating. And again once i get moving it goes back down to center. There is no visible leak and no real coolant smell and the ground under is dry.

By the way does too much of a high concentration of G12 also cause issues? Book says that a high concentration affects the heat transfer quality. Is that true?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:02 AM
1st Gear

My money is on the aux fan. Unhook the leads and hot wire it to 12v to see if it will spin. If it does then it's the temp switch down on the lower radiator hose. Service position for the fix.

A new fan is easy to find and easy to install. Obviously go with aftermarket.

The concentration of G12 is not the cause.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

My money is on the aux fan. Unhook the leads and hot wire it to 12v to see if it will spin. If it does then it's the temp switch down on the lower radiator hose. Service position for the fix.

A new fan is easy to find and easy to install. Obviously go with aftermarket.

The concentration of G12 is not the cause.
hmm the aux fan has actually been running around my head because like i mentioned once i rev up while standing still or start driving the temp goes down almost right away because of the mechanical fan spinning faster. Been doin research since last night and i found that the aux fan is supposed to kick in and ive popped the hood open recently right after driving and the aux fan isnt spinning

Old 09-21-2014, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

On my A4 it was service position, one screw, rotate the fan housing, disconnect the plug, throw fan in the trash, reverse procedure with the new fan. A couple of hours if you are good at going to service position.

I read where some guys can do it without going to service but that would be tight. Plus I did all my accessory belts and associated tensioners etc.

Might be able to squeeze in there on the A6. I forget.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:43 PM
1st Gear

On my A4 it was service position, one screw, rotate the fan housing, disconnect the plug, throw fan in the trash, reverse procedure with the new fan. A couple of hours if you are good at going to service position.

I read where some guys can do it without going to service but that would be tight. Plus I did all my accessory belts and associated tensioners etc.

Might be able to squeeze in there on the A6. I forget.
i think service position is easier lol last year when i changed out my drive belt i tried to be a smart *** and not do service position and failed lol so i went ahead and did it lol. What year was your A6 Avant?

Old 09-22-2014, 07:44 AM
1st Gear

2001, loved that wagon.

Quick Reply: slight overheating. should i be concerned? c