Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 AM
1st Gear
Default Small Coolant Leak

SO, I noticed a small leak from my 04 2.7 A6 with my coolant. I noticed because I did a coolant change last January, and now the tank was about 3/4 full under the line. So I topped it off and checked it again after a drive and finished topping it off. Well I heard a small dripping of liquid and sure enough it was a small puddle of coolant. Now is a product like Stop Leak safe for these vehicles, or should I spend the money to get this repaired? And please note I mean it was a small puddle about the size of an Eisenhower dollar.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:46 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

small leaks can turn into big leaks. best to get it fixed properly. I don't know enough about the additives to to say whether it is "safe" or not, but I do know enough to ensure you that it is not something that you want to use unless absolutely necessary. I suspect that it isn't going to solve your problem, and it may possibly make things worse.

be prepared. depending on what is leaking, you may be in for a pretty pricey repair

Old 11-25-2012, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

Ugh, and I know all to well about pricey repairs on this thing. In the year and a half i've owned it, its spent 4 months in the shop. Power steering lines, brake light switch, full timing belt coolant flush, cv axels, control arms, wheel bearings, ball joints, traling arms, new factory rims, and a transmission range sensor. However, it did stop leaking when I filled it. I technically over-filled it when the engine was cold, and it leaked for a second but quit. Was it maybe draining the excess? Because when I checked it again when it had been driven for over an hour there wasn't any leaks, drippings, and the level hadn't moved.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:03 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

It is very possible it was an isolated ncident. keep an eye out for drips and monitor the coolant level. if there is a problem, it will make itself known at some point or another

Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

Well first, can you see what area it's leaking from?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 PM
1st Gear

I couldn't see where it was coming from, I don't have a lift or jacks or any access to anything to get under it to look unfortunately.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kite09
I couldn't see where it was coming from, I don't have a lift or jacks or any access to anything to get under it to look unfortunately.
factory jack and a prayer....(they don't call it the widow-maker for nothing)

BUT, if you're able to see the puddle of coolant on the floor, that should let you know what area the leak is coming from at least.

Driver side, passenger side.. front of the motor etc.

It's pretty much a guessing game otherwise.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kite09
However, it did stop leaking when I filled it. I technically over-filled it when the engine was cold, and it leaked for a second but quit. Was it maybe draining the excess? Because when I checked it again when it had been driven for over an hour there wasn't any leaks, drippings, and the level hadn't moved.
Maybe you spilled some into the overflow portion of the coolant tank while pouring it in?

You can kinda make out the hole on the newer tank.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by OGBULLYLOCDAWG
factory jack and a prayer....(they don't call it the widow-maker for nothing)

BUT, if you're able to see the puddle of coolant on the floor, that should let you know what area the leak is coming from at least.

Driver side, passenger side.. front of the motor etc.

It's pretty much a guessing game otherwise.

It was driver side, under the left side of the engine. And it was a small puddle about the size of a .50 cent piece so not a whole lot. And I've never heard it called the widowmaker before lol.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 PM
1st Gear

Well, its been over a week and I have driven the car every day, and about 200 miles since then and I checked my coolant almost every night. So far there hasn't been any noticeable fluctuation in my levels since my OP

Quick Reply: Small Coolant Leak