Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow tires . . . which one's the best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:03 AM
1st Gear
Default Snow tires . . . which one's the best?

I'm looking to find out what snows people are using these days and why. I'm looking for a wintertire that will be good on the ice and packed snow we get here in the upper MidWest. When I lived back East, I ran Gislaveds and Hankooks - sometimes with studs. BUt they'renot legal here in WI, hence the query.

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:01 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Snow tires . . . which one's the best?

LOL That is like asking which woman is best! [sm=badidea.gif]

Snow is the same cold white stuff in the East and Midwest. [sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]

Check out Tire Rack to see what people are saying about their experiences. [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 02-19-2008, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear

want a set of Goodyear UG3? They are great, betetr looking tread too mine have VERY low miles and for sale!

Old 02-19-2008, 01:35 PM
1st Gear

I was hoping the NH guy would check-in on this! When I said "back East" I should have been more specific: I was born and raised in the Nashua area and lived the last 10 years of my New England life in Richmond, Cheshire County. That having been said, winters are a little different here in WI than there in New England - skiing sucks . . . no mountains here.[:@] Heck, Mt. Wachusett would be considered HUGWE here. Anyway . . . First of all, there's a different mentality practiced by the road maintenance crews here than there. You know how after it snows there in NH - and while it's snowing also - there are crews salting, sanding and plowing? Well, let me just say that I learned that's not the case everywhere you go. In some places, the snowfall has got to be good and done - especially in rural areas - before they will do anything about the roads.

Also,icing conditionsare more common here due to more consistent colder temperatures which can make the process of salting a little more cost prohibitive for anyone but the crews maintaining state and federal highways - or maybe even county roads. (Think North Dakota). This leaves a lot of local, rural roads.The stronger, more steady windsmake for more drifting across roadways and these snowdrifts melt just enough during the day to make for more icingat night. Finally, without the ocean to temper our winter temps, we don't have the luxury of temps warming to near freezing after storms go through. They usually drop as fronts move through pulling cold air in from the Plains. How messed up is that for messing with clean-up after astorm. I tell you, it's just not natural!

Now,this isn't a "who's got the worst winter" thing. And you're right: snow is snow. NO arguing that. I'm just saying ROAD conditons are different . . . and not being able to use studs has me looking for a good ice and packed snow tire.

I'll give the Tire Rack a try . . . again. I figured I'd ask here because you can gettwo or three or even four different opinions about the same tireall because it's people with different cars. Usually not all-wheel drive and almost never Quattro. THOSE are the folks I want to hear from.

Thanks again for the response. I'll have toask for the "long story" sometime. You've got me curious! Take care!

Old 02-19-2008, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

Hey Formulagigi:

Thanks for letting me know about the Goodyears . . . I may take you up on them.

Nice car, by the way. But what's the "tip code" refere to? Thanks!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:09 PM
2nd Gear

recoded my tip tranny to actually have/use 1st gear and slightly improved shifting... takes 5 minutes

Old 02-19-2008, 02:34 PM
1st Gear

Cool. What are you using for programming/diagnostics? Ross-Tech'sVAG-COM system? I've been thinking about getting the VAD Mobile which will work with my PDA.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:39 PM

I've run Michelin Pilot Alpins as a dedicated winter tire on my A6 and swear by them. Great traction on snow and black ice, with minimal road noise (for a real winter tire!).

Old 02-19-2008, 03:22 PM
2nd Gear

Nokians. They're from Finland. Hakka 2s should do you right.

Bob

Old 02-19-2008, 04:46 PM
3rd Gear

On my second set of Pirelli P6 Four Seasons. Next time I may look into the P6 Zeros or a set of Michelins. I do a lot of winter driving in Michigan - especially back and forth to Detroit along I96 - and they provide excellent traction. This is the best winter vehicle I ever drove.

Quick Reply: Snow tires . . . which one's the best?