Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something new.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Something new.

Its been a while since my 99 2.8 German stallion has had a problem. On my last oil change I noticed there was a crack in one of my control arms. So i had both my control arms replaced and C/V boots rebuilt. Car is around 108k miles on it. But when I reverse. If I apply to much pressure on the breaks to quickly. my brakes will stutter, and I even feel kickback. I even hear some mechanical noise. As if the ABS was having some sort of complications. Now this ONLY happens in reverse.
Now one big key factor I should mention, if that's not enough to help diagnose the problem. I did drive about 20 miles home one day on a dead alternator. I saw it coming, and drove home while the battery still had power, and she completely died as I pulled into the driveway. Had the alternator replaced same time as my boots and control arms.
Break pads are slightly old. About 6k miles on them. Wheels have around 80% tread and Ive recently had all my break discs replaced around 10k ago.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:52 PM
3rd Gear

My rule on auto repair is that 1) preventative maintenance is good. and 2) If it is not preventative maintenance, but a repair, then leave it alone until it is very noticeably wrong.

I think the noise qualifies as number 2.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:56 AM
1st Gear

Agreed. I imagine its something that wont be dangerous. I would like to add when I was on the freeway today I decided to open the throttle and test my new parts to make sure the high speed shake was gone. And after around 100mph or so my ABS light tripped. But it then turned off 5 minutes later.