Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOS 97 A6 Avant Quattro 2.8 V6 Just DIED!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Smile SOS 97 A6 Avant Quattro 2.8 V6 Just DIED!

Hi, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, rebuilt a few Chevy V8's, done a fair amount of OBD II Diags, etc...

My A6 Avant 2.8 2 valve V6 just died going along Hwy 80 in Florida yesterday.

At first, it sounded like it ran out of gas, or the fuel pump died, but a quick check showed power to the pump and fuel flowing well to the filter, out of the filter and into the injection fuel rail.

The vacuum valve on the right side exit of the rail had a hole in the main manifold hose, so, I taped it up as a temp fix - I'm in the middle of nowhere, no parts shop, etc... after 5 pm, so, tried as much as I could.

NO FUEL EXITS THE RAIL PAST THE VACUUM VALVE.

I pulled the clip that holds the valve actuator and it only moved toward the manifold an eighth-inch or so, but I couldn't determine if any fuel flowed out after that.

Oh yeah, I did get a "...low EGR pressure..." DTC. That's the only code that showed.

It appears that I'm not getting flow, or injection activity, or spark.

I shot starting fluid directly into the air intake at the V6 plenum intake, after the MAF sensor, and the car did not fire at all.

I'm now suspecting timing belt jump, or some Audi immobilizer/safety thing that kills spark or injection.

I checked all fuses in the dash panel and under the hood relay box.

I was not able to test the relays or breakers - I only carry the basics on a trip.

The car has 134,000 miles on it. I don't know the repair history, if it's ever had a timing belt done. I got this car from an abandoned impound yard a few months ago, it's my first Audi, and it's been working well - I really like how it feels just like my old BMW. I just finished replacing all the suspension rubber and a new rear propeller shaft, and she goes down the road very smooth - just died unexpectedly. I had been driving the car all day on freeways, then she quit. It was raining alot when she died, but she had been running in the rain for hours all day.

I am returning to the car today with a spark plug wrench and a compression tester to see how the valves are doing in comparison the the crank/pistons.

If any Audi experts out there can help with any special Audi electric emergency shutdown gizmos that I don't know about, that would be great!
Any other secret Audi information that would help me get the car running and back to my hotel 50 miles away will be sincerely appreciated.

I'm checking my online manual, but so far nothing very helpful.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Tomm - stuck in Florida (not a bad place to be stuck, I just want to drive around and see more of it...:>)

Old 06-09-2009, 12:20 PM
3rd Gear

Plan on pulling the stuff on the front of the motor and checking the timing belt.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:41 AM

Perhaps you could rent a truck and a trailer from U-Haul and take your car home. If you were a AAA member you could get towed to a nearby repair shop.
If you leave your car on the highway too long, you will have to pay for towing and storage.
I have a 1996 Audi A6 Quattro, which has a problem with the locking, unlocking, alarm module, which is located under right side of the rear seat. The drivers door may have a bad switch which causes the alarm to stay on after opening the door. With the alarm on, the engine would not start and the alarm went off, even with the key in the ignition. The alarm would not stop until the key was used again in the outside door.
It is possible that if water were to get into this alarm module, that it might cause the engine to not start. The module is hidden inside foam rubber padding, next to the battery.
So check if you are getting water in to the alarm module from a bad weatherstrip or a leaking sunroof drain.
If you have VAG-COM, you may access the alarm module for error codes on the 1997, but not the 1996 A6.

Last edited by a6hcw; 06-14-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

Could be the timing belt, if so you're in for a fun ride. If it is ur gonna have to take the whole front apart and your valves would be wrecked. Fingers crossed its not the belt though. Good luck.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:40 PM
2nd Gear

Yikes sounds like TB, Your on the right track, check the belt then compression. Then Ignition control module.That one has sparkplug wires right? Bring a spark tester too, and a test light and tape. If you have spark and compression take one of the terminals off your injector and shove the test light on it some how.

If some of them were working you would get some sort of fart out of it. Has to be something that controls all cylinders, TB, IGN Module, FUEL.

BRING LOTS OF WATER IT IS FRIGGIN HOT OUT THERE!!!!!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:36 AM

Hi Gang, THANKS for all your replys! It was the timing belt. Compression was down to 50 PSI on cyls. 4 and 5, so, it jumped one tooth. Luckily, the AUDI ECU shuts down the power to the injectors and the spark plugs, so the valves were saved. Got it towed to a local shop - Clewiston Tire, and they're GTO freaks (the new 6.0 litre Austrailian Types) and the guy was wearing an Audi Cap when I arrived unannounced. They fixed it in 3 days (had to wait for parts), $500 including towing and parts. Car runs great! They fixed a few other items as well. I recommend them! Don't get those electronic boxes wet! Good Driving to All! May AUDI get back on top at Le Mans next year!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 AM
3rd Gear

$500 for a TB replacement and tow probably means they did not do the waterpump, seals or tensioners.

NOTICE TO ALL --
Atomm was lucky - VERY LUCKY - If you have an Audi with a timing belt and it has 80K miles or more do the belt or you'll be sorry. If you don't know when it was done last - DO IT ANYWAY. And have them do the waterpump, tensioners, and seals at the same time.

This one of the ten commandements of Audi-ownership - if you disobey this one you will pay for your sin and repentance will not get you out of trouble.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
$500 for a TB replacement and tow probably means they did not do the waterpump, seals or tensioners.

NOTICE TO ALL --
Atomm was lucky - VERY LUCKY - If you have an Audi with a timing belt and it has 80K miles or more do the belt or you'll be sorry. If you don't know when it was done last - DO IT ANYWAY. And have them do the waterpump, tensioners, and seals at the same time.

This one of the ten commandements of Audi-ownership - if you disobey this one you will pay for your sin and repentance will not get you out of trouble.
the box of parts is sitting on my floor waiting on tools....

Old 06-15-2009, 03:16 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by crazyguy
the box of parts is sitting on my floor waiting on tools....
wish I could come and help you , but is too darn far

Old 06-15-2009, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
wish I could come and help you , but is too darn far
I'm going to get auditech down here....I know how much he loves the 3.0

Quick Reply: SOS 97 A6 Avant Quattro 2.8 V6 Just DIED!