Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Spark Plugs

I have a 2000 a6 quattro 2.7T. My check engine light cam on and it said that I had a misfire in 3 cylinders. The car was driving fine, but I needed to get the check engine light off in order to pass emissions.

The car had NGK spark plugs and had really good pick up. My mechanic replaced the spark plugs and now the car seems to be a lot slower. He put NGK platinum spark plugs that he got from Napa for $3.95. There were other ones called NGL laser platinum that wer $16 something, but he said he got the cheaper ones because it would make no difference.

The car is so much slower than it was before I replaced them. Especially between 0 and 40. Should I get the Laser Platinum plugs put in or could it be that the mechanic just messed something up? Is there really that much difference between platinum and laser platinum. My car went from running like an A6 turbo to running like a corolla.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

the more expensive ones arent more expensive just cause the company wanted to put a high price.... its expensive cause they are different than the cheaper ones and people are willing to pay the higher price for that difference... dont b afraid to spend a little extra to keep your car running like the premiu machine that it is... heck if i were you ide splurge for the pulstars.... i will try to get a link to a post about spark plug reliability

Old 07-22-2009, 09:13 PM
1st Gear
Old 07-22-2009, 10:41 PM
1st Gear

found this at sparkplugs.com
Pulstar: Pulstar Pulse Plugs

Pulstar Pulse Plug, 14mm, 19mm (3/4") Reach, 5/8" (16mm) Hex Size, Gasket Seat, Resistor, .045" (1.143mm) Gap

Pulstar Pulse Plugs are unlike any other spark plug made. They store and deliver a powerful pulse of up to 1 Million watts of peak power, whereas normal spark plugs typically deliver 50 watts of peak power. This is done by their internal pulse circuit which generates a much larger spark, at twice the speed of a traditional spark plug. This larger ignition allows for more complete burning of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder, in turn creating more torque in the crankshaft, more liveliness in the throttle and more power to the wheels. At this point you can enjoy the extra power, or ease off on the accelerator and benefit from the increasing fuel economy. They are more expensive than traditional spark plugs, however according to Pulstar, the cost is typically recovered in fuel savings after one year and you will continue to save money on fuel in the years that follow, thus they pay for themselves many times over. Pulstar also boasts these are the single most cost effective means of increasing horsepower and mileage.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:03 PM
4th Gear

If you think plugs give you enough to feel, then by all means, spend your money.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:11 AM
1st Gear

Always use OEM Plugs for your Car the NGK part number should be NGK PFR6Q

Old 07-23-2009, 09:25 AM
3rd Gear

Since when Audi started using NGK as their OEM spark plug supplier?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:26 PM
3rd Gear

In spite of all the marketing hype we might have swallowed, there is not that much difference between spark plugs. Over the last 100 years they have become commodity items. Yes, the material content of some may drive a higher cost (ooooh, platinum plating!) but spark be spark. A fresh set of plugs, assuming they are the right plug for your vehicle, should not reduce performance noticeably. Either they are the wrong plug, not gapped, or, more likely, something else was removed or disturbed and not replaced correctly. I had my plugs replaced at 40k and 100k miles (dealer, then indie shop) and the performance and mileage was the same before and after.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

My old 1996 A6 had NGK Plugs and my 2001 also had NGK plugs.. they were put in by the dealership had the Audi Symbol on them and had the NGK part number imprinted on the body.. so NGK is OEM

Old 07-23-2009, 08:37 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
In spite of all the marketing hype we might have swallowed, there is not that much difference between spark plugs. Over the last 100 years they have become commodity items. Yes, the material content of some may drive a higher cost (ooooh, platinum plating!) but spark be spark. A fresh set of plugs, assuming they are the right plug for your vehicle, should not reduce performance noticeably. Either they are the wrong plug, not gapped, or, more likely, something else was removed or disturbed and not replaced correctly. I had my plugs replaced at 40k and 100k miles (dealer, then indie shop) and the performance and mileage was the same before and after.
Guys pay attention to this post -- He's got it right! Don't get sucked in by the hype.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs