Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Tuning Chip Review for 2.8 ATQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear
Default Speed Tuning Chip Review for 2.8 ATQ

Well I participated the Speed Tuning Chip group buy and figure I should write a review. BTW, thanks to onepoint8tee for organizing the group buy. Considering I only had the chip for a day, I can only update you on the initial impression. I will periocially update this for mileage, long term findings and etc.

Process:

I pulled out my ECU which took about 15 minutes. The hardest part was getting one of the 8mm bolt below the windshield plastic cover. Anyways, packed the ECU in a box sent it to Speed Tuning on Wednesday afternoon. I got the ECU back on Saturday morning. (BTW, I live in California.)

I reinstalled the ECU. Turned the ignition to on position, waited for the throttle body alignment to be done, and started the car.

Result:

Day 1: Idle moved up by 150 rpm or so. My first impression was that it is very smooth from dead stop start. I used to have a tiny bit of lag after the initial start from a stop, and it is gone now. The car feels noticiably stronger around 2300 to 3000 rpm range.

I took the car on the freeway and here is where I felt the most improvement. Before, I felt that my sweet spot on the freeway was around 70 to 73 mph, but now it seems to be more. Accelerating from 60 up seems a lot more free willing than before. For your reference, I haven't pushed beyond 80 yet, because of the road traffic condition. Also I haven't opened it up all the way either. Figure I take it easy for a few days before pushing it hard.

So for now, I am really impressed with the Speed Tuning chip. This definitely sprinkled little bit of fun to my 2.8 ATQ, and can't complain the price either.

I will update this periodically to keep you updated on mileage, and etc.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:42 PM
1st Gear
Default chiped

i don`t know what mod u have on yours. but i can tell my story with speedtuningusa chip. mod on car: k&n air filter in original box plus an extra 2inch hose with air from small lower grill, megaflow mufflers freeflow with 2.5 pipe ,recode ecu with 1 for a4, and with 12 for transmission , sport mode. i had an power loss right after i replace the mufflers because i didn`t have ecu chiped , now after install the ecu (speedtuningusa chiped) my car speed much faster , if i don`t release the gas goes all the way to 6krpm. i start to put 93 gas , and so far in the city takes around 21.7 , highway around 23-24 depens, sometimes goes up to 27 (if i stay away of trottle , and flat road). another thing the rpm goes faster from 1k to 3k ,city or highway.
a good improvement after all and good price.
after reading and searching anyone can do it with 140 included map and an epromflasher where you can save stock and custom maps ,but probably require some skills ...in my case i got it chiped already, if i get another A.. will be an option

Old 10-24-2008, 12:06 PM
3rd Gear
Default UPDATE 1: Day 4

Update 1: Day 4

Really liking this new found power on the freeway. I don't feel like I am pressing on the gas as much as used to, and still get the same pick up. Maybe that was the reason... my gas mileage is up by 1.5 mpg. Considering the last tank was 3/4 full when the chip was installed, I will check the gas mileage again.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:04 PM
2nd Gear

pulling through the top end of 4th gear is pretty fun w/ the GIAC tune... I'm sure the Speed Tuning is similar; the top end just has pulling power that wasn't there before

Old 10-24-2008, 03:52 PM
3rd Gear

Yes I have to agree. Basically from 2800 up, it is more fun than before. But the better thing was that it was whole lot cheaper than GIAC chip.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:25 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Yes I have to agree. Basically from 2800 up, it is more fun than before. But the better thing was that it was whole lot cheaper than GIAC chip.
Yea the GB was a nice hook up!

GIAC is close to the same price now since they started offering a flash version, which also mean switching enabled =)

Either way, anyone that hasn't got a ECU upgrade on the 2.8 is in for a surprise once they get it much more linear power curve

Old 10-27-2008, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

The only way to get this would be to send in my ECU?

Old 10-27-2008, 03:55 PM
3rd Gear

Yes... for Speedtuning chip at least. As for the GIAC, I am not sure but I guess you can find a local dealer where you can take the car to. I sent in my ECU on Wednesday afternoon and got it back on Saturday morning.

Anyways if you are interested I might know of a way to get it cheaper than the website listed price.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:58 PM

im debating between speedtuning and GIAC.
speedtuning is supposed to add +20HP +20TQ and thats all it says.
http://www.speedtuningusa.com/products/audi.htm

GIAC is +10HP +10TQ, 7100RPM limiter, speed limiter removed, and free upgrades
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...s&IL=GIACChips

DOES SPEEDTUNING ALSO REMOVE LIMITERS?

Old 11-11-2008, 06:05 PM
3rd Gear

In reality, speedtuning chip also adds about 10 HP. I spoke with the owner for extended period of time before the flash, and he was up front that the 20+ value was including other mods. So in reality, he says, 10 is more resonable number.

Anyways, I don't think it removes the limiter, but why would you anyways?

Quick Reply: Speed Tuning Chip Review for 2.8 ATQ