Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stainless steel brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Default stainless steel brake lines

Hey ppl,
I have an 01 2.7T A6 with 150K+ miles running smooth.
I noticed that the rubber hoses have cracked on the front brake lines.
I was wondering is it worth changing to stainless steel lines or should i just stick to the original lines? I came across these ones:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-.../Lines/ES1313/

Please give me your suggestion is it worth installing those or no?
Is it going to improve braking or no?

Old 11-04-2009, 11:56 PM
4th Gear

It'll improve brake feel.. I'd do it.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:05 AM
3rd Gear

I'm a cheap bastid, so I would say before making your decision to first read the fine print:

Stainless steel brake lines offer improved pedal modulation and stiffer pedal feel over the stock lines. While stock brake lines are fabricated from a reinforced rubber they can still increase in diameter when pedal pressure is applied. The result is a spongy pedal feel as some of the master cylinder pressure is wasted "inflating" the soft lines.
Braided Stainless steel, TEFLON cored lines offer superior resistance to deformation under high pressure compared to rubber. All stainless lines are manufactured exclusively by ECS tuning to exacting specification. Finished lines are then covered with a water/dirt resistant vinyl coating, greatly increasing safety and lifespan of the line
So basically you get teflon coated with braided stainless steel, which in turn is coated with vinyl.
Did you experience "spongy" feel with your rubber lines? If the answer is yes, then you can make the step and buy the "stainless" lines.
If not, go with the cheaper OE rubber lines, and instead of vynil you can coat them with metal duct tape if you're worried about "safety" (whatever they mean by that) and increased lifespan.

Last edited by chefro; 11-05-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:06 AM
2nd Gear

If you really want to be a Cheap Bastard, realize that a few cracks in the outer skin of the brake line is meaningless, wrap them with some tape if it makes you feel better, and spend your time counting your money! Seriously, the outer skin is there to protect the inner lines, which carries the real pressure, not to do any real work as it is way too soft. You DO want to maintain the protection that the outer layer provides so you DO want to tape them or rubber cement them.

On the otherhand, if you are going to spend the money, it is only a few dollars more to go with the stainless steel wrapped lines, which will look better, perform slightly better and last longer.

Bob

Old 11-05-2009, 02:01 PM
2nd Gear

try paragonperformance.com they are a california company that specializes in SS lines.
I put the on my 96A6 and they work great

http://www.paragonperformance.com/audibrk.html

Old 11-05-2009, 07:24 PM
3rd Gear

Bob, the cheap bastid was me... and I hope you were actually taking a shot solely at me
In all the fairness, I don't think punjabi said anywhere that actually would prefer to go with the rubber OEM lines. I was the one to somewhat "question" the betterment achieved via "stainless" lines.
The point I was trying to make is that the lines in my car are the original ones (rubber, oh yeah) and they don't present signs of cracking or extreme "aging". The pedal is very responsive still, and there's no "spongy" feeling, to quote ECS.
I don't dispute that the "stainless" lined ones may be better, but if the rubber ones can last 158,000 miles at least, then someone on a budget (I don't imply punjabi may be a guy on a budget, either) has a cheaper alternative than the "trend".
If the "stainless" lines are that great and much more performant than the rubber OEM ones, and are only "a few dollars more" than the rubber ones, then it's a pity that Audi doesn't use them in their $ 35-50,000 cars off the manufacturing lines...

Ex for my 1995, at ECS Tuning:

Rubber Lines: 2 x 12.79 front + 2 x 14.95 rear = $ 55.48
DOT approved "stainless" lined teflon: 2 x 44.95 (sold in pairs) - $ 89.90

The difference....yeah, only a measly few dollars.

Last edited by chefro; 11-05-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 PM
4th Gear

Well.. they are better.. pure and simple. Does that mean 'better for daily drivers'? prolly not... but if you are spirited driver, or like better brake feel and feedback then they are for you.

Now.. the thing to watch for is whether you are getting real stainless lines, or merely rubber lines with a stainless braid. They are NOT the same, and cost is usually how you tell quickly.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:59 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Now.. the thing to watch for is whether you are getting real stainless lines, or merely rubber lines with a stainless braid. They are NOT the same, and cost is usually how you tell quickly.
That's exactly why I used highlighting color in quoting the ECS selling pitch, and used "stainless" in quotes, Jim. .
On the same note, Paragon ones are
These brake lines and clutch lines are constructed using hose lined with PTFE
PTFE=teflon.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:09 PM

That type of expensive brake line is usualy used with oversized brake calipers used on high performance turbocharged Audi such as with the 2.7T engine.
At high speed, it is not good to have a brake hose burst. So, it may not be a waste of money for those who love speed, but don't want to die.
Unfortunately, neither type of brake hose is completely safe! So, they both need to be inspected for damage after certain intervals or events.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:54 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by a6hcw
That type of expensive brake line is usualy used with oversized brake calipers used on high performance turbocharged Audi such as with the 2.7T engine.
At high speed, it is not good to have a brake hose burst. So, it may not be a waste of money for those who love speed, but don't want to die.
Unfortunately, neither type of brake hose is completely safe! So, they both need to be inspected for damage after certain intervals or events.
Neither to be snotty, nor argumentative (I do respect each and everyone in here, and implicitly their opinion), but what kind of speed do you guys have in mind?
If we're talking about Autobahn (unlimited speed sections) then I can see your point and defenitely agree with the pro stainless steel lines argument.
However, do all of you who have real stainless lines ever race your daily driver Audis on the track, or drive on the US roads consistently over 100 mph?

Quick Reply: stainless steel brake lines