Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering issue...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:28 AM
2nd Gear
Default steering issue...

ok well, i have this sort of clunk from the front, wheel area whenever I:
a) turn the wheel at about 3/4 from dead center to lock either way at a stop (like turning the wheel to get out of a parking spot)
b) accelerate suddenly
c) brake hard
d) when weight transfers more abruptly from front to back/back to front
e) over more violent bumps/potholes

The best way I can describe it is like the steering rack is moving? I just replaced all my control arms and tie rod ends, so they are not the culprit. there is also no shimmying or play in steering. I do have a squeak, sort of like two heavy rubber things rotating on each other. It's not my p/s pump, because I tried looking for the noise where the pump is and nothing, its coming from the rack area. One thing i have noticed is that at higher speed and while turning, I get a barely noticeable vibration coming from the front consistent with wheel rotation. It does not affect steering at all though. Another detail is I was told I should have my p/s fluid replaced because it no longer had appropriate viscosity.
Please let me know if you guys have anything, I'm really dumbfounded.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:45 AM
2nd Gear

I have heard of PS racks having issues/making noise. Rarely, but it happens. And it is expensive, so pray its not.

Could vibration possibly be rotors. Mine are warped, dont notice below ~80 though..

Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 AM
2nd Gear

i really hope not. and my rotors are warped to ****, but i know its not that. the vibration is while driving regularly, not braking, and is consistent with wheel rotation. thanks though 2001a6. anyone else?

Old 05-03-2009, 04:31 PM
3rd Gear

How many miles on the vehicle?

Old 05-03-2009, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear

like 94.5k, noise is like a bang/clunk sound

Last edited by hcaudikeed; 05-03-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:03 PM
2nd Gear

bump. anyone? mileage is actually 94100, just checked.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

i read a post recently where that same issue turned out to be a loose bolt under the battery that mounts the rack. another thing to look at would be the strut mounts.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:51 PM
3rd Gear

Check the control arm ends - Might be time to replace them

Old 05-04-2009, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear

check original post. i just replaced the control arms last month. any other ideas? ill check the strut mounts and that bolt under the battery, actually sounds like its coming from there. strut mounts i remember torquing down when i put the strut tower back into the car.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hcaudikeed
ok well, i have this sort of clunk from the front, wheel area whenever I:
a) turn the wheel at about 3/4 from dead center to lock either way at a stop (like turning the wheel to get out of a parking spot)
b) accelerate suddenly
c) brake hard
d) when weight transfers more abruptly from front to back/back to front
e) over more violent bumps/potholes

The best way I can describe it is like the steering rack is moving? I just replaced all my control arms and tie rod ends, so they are not the culprit. there is also no shimmying or play in steering. I do have a squeak, sort of like two heavy rubber things rotating on each other. It's not my p/s pump, because I tried looking for the noise where the pump is and nothing, its coming from the rack area. One thing i have noticed is that at higher speed and while turning, I get a barely noticeable vibration coming from the front consistent with wheel rotation. It does not affect steering at all though. Another detail is I was told I should have my p/s fluid replaced because it no longer had appropriate viscosity.
Please let me know if you guys have anything, I'm really dumbfounded.
Finally! Someone who is experiencing the same problem I have.

I too have replaced all control arms, tie rod ends, and CV joints. I also replaced rotors and brake pads. In addition to that, I flushed the PS system and filled in fresh Pentosin PS fluid.

The odd thing is that my steering makes a groan sound the hotter the outside temp is. Above 90 degrees and it definitly sounds like a mechanical issue....almost like rubber or plastic rubbing up on something.

Is this indeed my steering rack needing replacement?

Quick Reply: steering issue...