Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Storing" Car; Battery out

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 PM
3rd Gear
Default "Storing" Car; Battery out

I would like to know if there's any caution for taking the battery out, since I won't drive the car for a while.
It is very cold lately, so I want to take the battery inside.

I purchased the car with a Kenwood aftermarket stereo, so there's no "code" involved upon reinstalling the battery (I would think).
Is there anything else cautionary about leaving the car without "power" for a long time?I don't have a garage, so the car is parked outdoors.

Thanks much in advance for any help tips.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:28 PM
3rd Gear

How long are we talking about?

Old 01-19-2009, 01:46 PM
3rd Gear

hey, Jeff

well, about 4-8 weeks until it gets warmer outside. So all depends on weather.

The car starts fine so far even after sitting a week, but it sorts of "grinding" in the T-Belt area until gets warmed (unless I'm just paranoid), and I also detected some "steam" coming from under the driver side's engine bank the other day. On that side suppose to be the T-stat.
I am waiting on a mechanic friend to free himself from a busy schedule and help me do the TB, T-stat, Water pump, coolant, etc.
The expansion tank leaks, so I tried as much as possible not to start it to prevent it from losing coolant (even though it will be replaced).
Meantime, I also tore down the headliner to fix the sunroof leak and I'm waiting on some interior replacement trim. The weather is just un-cooperative (well, it is winter....LoL), therefore I was thinking to bring the battery inside to preserve it from cold.

Should I instead just leave it installed and start the car every 4-5 days or so?

If it was a different car I would have just disconnected the battery without asking, but I'm still learning about this Audi....

Last edited by chefro; 01-19-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:15 PM
2nd Gear

I'd bring it in. WOn't hurt anything. It will keep the battery from draining due to the alarm system.If you started it every week or so, you would have to let it idle for 30 minutes at a strech which, given a leaking coolant tank, doesn't seem like a good idea. Don't store the barrtey on concrete!

Bob

Old 01-19-2009, 02:54 PM
2nd Gear

I would install a battery minder and leave the battery in the car.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:59 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks, Bob, Kevin.

I don't dismiss the "minder" alternative, but I have no idea how it works....plus, it is an extra expense. Is it like a charger you plug in a regular outlet?

Bob, why not directly on the concrete? Does it transfer the cold temperature?
I will put it on a wood board or something like that, then.

Thanks again guys. <<<thumbs up>>>

Old 01-19-2009, 07:47 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
Thanks, Bob, Kevin.

I don't dismiss the "minder" alternative, but I have no idea how it works....plus, it is an extra expense. Is it like a charger you plug in a regular outlet?
You are correct. This works great if your car is parked on your property and close enough to a power outlet.

Originally Posted by chefro
Bob, why not directly on the concrete? Does it transfer the cold temperature?
I will put it on a wood board or something like that, then.

Thanks again guys. <<<thumbs up>>>
A thick rubber mat or a big mouse pad work great at keeping the battery insulated from the very cold floor. You can also wrap the battery in a thermal blanket. It is important to keep it from freezing or your battery is toast (I know, it is a paradox!).

Old 01-19-2009, 10:36 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by zippy_gg
A thick rubber mat or a big mouse pad work great at keeping the battery insulated from the very cold floor. You can also wrap the battery in a thermal blanket. It is important to keep it from freezing or your battery is toast (I know, it is a paradox!).
Thick rubber mat will do. I'll use one on a metal shelf.
Thanks for the , Zippy.

I appreciate your input, guys.
chefro

P.S. forgot:
the car started right away after 6 days! I definitely don't want to toast this battery

Last edited by chefro; 01-19-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:08 PM
3rd Gear

well, i disconnected and storred the battery last Friday. We were expecting temp in the low tens, so I decided it it is time. It wasn't that cold, but the the temp was steady into low 20's ever since.
Actually tonight we should hit again some low tens, with some negative wind chill.
Anyway, when I took the battery out, I noticed a slim hose sort of propped against the battery. I forgot to take a pic, but I had a chance today since it was a bit sunny and was able to pop out the sunvisors' clips I was dieing to do (about that in a different topic).

Name:  hose1.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  40.4 KB

And a closer look:

Name:  hose2.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  37.9 KB

Is that indeed a "venting" hose for the battery? If that's the case, the battery probably was replaced before I bought the car, and the model doesn't have a "plugging" place for it. (Although from what I recall over the years, I never seen a "vented" battery per se). By the same token, if the hose is for venting potential acid fumes, does it just suppose to collect them out from the air?

Conversely, if it isn't for venting the potential acid fumes from the battery, do you have any idea what it could be placed there for? I see nothing that would resemble in the slightest form like a place where that hose should (or could) be connected to.

Thanks again guys.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:35 AM
2nd Gear

German cars seem to all have the vent line. Must be a German law or something. The vent actually vents hydrogen gas that is a byproduct of the battery discharging. Maybe they remember the Hindenberg.....

Bob