Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for 2005 A6 - 2k trade in value??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Suggestions for 2005 A6 - 2k trade in value??

2005 Quattro 3.2 - 87k miles. All service done through dealer on time.

Along the way it has had a few electrical lights / warnings go off but fixed with updates and two times it has had an engine coolant leak into the driver floor area - 1 in warranted and one out.

Other than that, it is in great shape. Single non-smoker driver highway miles to/from work. Not a do-it-yourself mechanic. Take stuff to people (but might begin to learn).

Recently, it has a an intermittent noise on startup. Started in about summer and slowly it probably has gotten a little worse or more consistent. 85k service - they said fine. I took it back at 87k with a note on how to likely get the noise (cold start, left overnight, have mechanic there with hood open). Posted link here on the forums back in Dec -

They had the car for about 1 week. They have quoted me $5300 for a time chain and tensioners. With the age of the car, I also asked for a trade-in value and got a quote of $2000.

So 1) I think they are simply trying to steal the car. Never has even stalled in 8 years - looks almost new on the inside etc. $2k seems absurd. Once the noise leaves, it runs / rides great. 2) I don't trust anything from that dealership now and they are the single dealer in the state of AR.

Any thoughts on urgency of fix or approximate cost to repair if they are correct would be appreciated. I have kid who is just about 14 and the idea was to keep this for him to drive / learn and then pass it on to him - that's why I was trying to get rid of the noise and keep it up...

If they are correct and it is a $2k value car, I'm leaving Audi for different reasons.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

they are smokin something!!! try to find a good independent shop stealers are brutal especially on upscale cars like audi. letting people know your location can help with suggested alternatives for repair if you want to keep the car. these days stealers keep charging MORE!!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

Yep they are smoking something over there. A while back had the some noise(steel marbles banging together:like chains rotating on steel steps) at warm coming for the engine and I thought it was the timing chain. Few month later the check engine light came on, large EVAP leak. I track down the Evap Purge Valve and start the car, "PAM" the noise I was hearing was the EVAP Purge Valve. When I touched the Purge Valve it was hot.
I replace it no more sound and problem fixed for me. Hey you just might have purge valve going bad. It's worth the try to track it down(it under the back audi rings black cover).

Here's shot of a EVAP Purge Valve:

I got for $20 and you could DYI.