Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Question (Control Arm noise?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Default Suspension Question (Control Arm noise?)

Hi. I just picked up an Audi a6 2.7t, and the front end is making noise. I was hoping it was the tires rubbing on the pavement, but no luck. After a few searches on here, Im guessing it is the control arms.

It makes the sound only when turning the wheels when stopped, and when driving over a speed bump at slow speeds. It sounds like a high pitched whine (a little worse than my wife, heh jk) Seriously, it sounds almost like rubber on pavement, which is why I thought it was the tires first.

If it isn't anything else, could someone answer this? A: Audi A4 has a recall on the CA, and I am under the impression the CA for the A4 and A6 are interchangable. Does this mean that the CA on the A6 are also covered under the recall?

Secondly, should I replace the upper/lower CA and tie rods too? Or can I get away with just the upper CA on both sides?

Help would be greatly appreciated. My direct email is jay_bones15 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Default RE: Suspension Question (Control Arm noise?)

^BUMP.

So no one with any advice on the control arm issue? I took the wheel off..and I couldnt shake the arms (maybe they are ok.?) but I did notice a torn boot. The grease-as expected- was all over. Perhaps this is the noise I mentioned? Its not a clicking or a clunking however which makes me wonder>>>>

Old 01-25-2006, 01:59 PM

Had same problem in my A6

There are 2 bolts for the sunsspension arm. One of the bolts comes from the top and is located kind of under the battery, You will have to remove the plastic cover which is beetween engine and windshield. It is hard to reach this bolt since like i said is under the battery ( i didn't remove the batter so probbably thats why ).

The bolt was lose, all i had to to was screw it and everything works perfect now.

I hope You didnt spend big $ for this yet,

Before i find out the reason One of mechanics told me that the bolt comes from the bottom and ist broken so now they will have to take it all down ( sunsp. ) and take of broken bolt and put new one, thay estimate the job for 450usd!!!!!!

Sorry for my poor english :-)

Old 01-25-2006, 06:48 PM

Do I have to take out the battery to see this bolt? Do I have to tighten it from the top side or bottome side?

Old 01-26-2006, 03:32 AM

I didnt took the battery out, thats why was so hard to get it. I think if You will take it out shoudl be easyer . I had to use a camera wire to see it movin when my friend was turning weels all the way. Then i use a " crocked tool " to tide it up. The bolt is from the top.