Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping Steering Wheels - Will this work?

Old 08-30-2007, 04:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Swapping Steering Wheels - Will this work?

Does anyone know if I can use this steering wheel? I have almost the same wheel in my '01 Tip. The only difference is that it has the shifter buttons on it. Do you know if the wiring for changing the gears with the paddle shifters are already a part of the standard installation? Will I have to or can I run the necessary wires for that? Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/39664/81762D94DEA2497098E545455EFD705C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/39664/6C7FEEA7D4B347BC8946F34CBB49B8B0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/39664/B02B5DB614294BA591F6BF01437CDECE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Swapping Steering Wheels - Will this work?

C'mon you Tech Certified guys. I know you know.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:08 AM
1st Gear

That's funny he called those things shifter buttons. First off those aren't shifter buttons, they're to change thru your channels or CD tracks on your radio. This should work if you connect everything correctly.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:18 AM

looks like a good idea and im sure it can be rigged up to work but I doubt the older car will have the wiring for it unless it was an option then but only way to find out is get in there

Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 PM
3rd Gear

I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

You have the stock steering wheel with the shifter buttons, but radio controls. You want to add the same wheel, but with the multi function controls. I would guess that if it was not an option on that model, you will not be able to use it. BUt if it was an option, you may have to wire & vag it.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

Envied - Are you kidding me? Then the guy selling it on ebay doesn't know that. I asked him about it and he said that I'd just push up and down to shift. I then replied to him stating that I don't see how that could be considering the paddles have an indention in them to only press down. He hasn't replied since. You just saved me some money and grief. Thanks

2k - Look at the pics. The only difference between my wheel and this one is that there are two buttons on the top two spokes. I thought they were for changing gears when you put your car in TIP position. For my year car, at least in my owners manual, there are three types of wheels. The one I have (with the phone option), the one like mine without the phone option, and the sport three spoke steering wheel with the buttons to control the shifting. Since this wheel is from a 2003, I thought they wised up and made a completely multifunction wheel that not only controlled the radio, but also controlled the shifting. Since paddle shifting was an option on my year of car, I thought that I could get this wheel and use all of the functions...radio controls and gear shifting.

Basically I wanted paddle shifters like the pic below with all of the radio features. However, I will be changing out my stereo so does anyone know if a S4/S8 will fit and work on my car?

[IMG]local://upfiles/39664/30D3C94324ED4566A2E05CFDD1C6BC74.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-31-2007, 01:53 PM

paddle shift is only a pulse and same as tip so electronic placed sensors so whats the problem? its all down to wiring

Old 08-31-2007, 02:07 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Blade69
2k - Look at the pics. The only difference between my wheel and this one is that there are two buttons on the top two spokes. I thought they were for changing gears when you put your car in TIP position. For my year car, at least in my owners manual, there are three types of wheels. The one I have (with the phone option), the one like mine without the phone option, and the sport three spoke steering wheel with the buttons to control the shifting. Since this wheel is from a 2003, I thought they wised up and made a completely multifunction wheel that not only controlled the radio, but also controlled the shifting. Since paddle shifting was an option on my year of car, I thought that I could get this wheel and use all of the functions...radio controls and gear shifting.

Basically I wanted paddle shifters like the pic below with all of the radio features. However, I will be changing out my stereo so does anyone know if a S4/S8 will fit and work on my car?
Well one button is for up shifts, & one for downshifts. Please, don't call them paddles, they are just buttons. If you want paddles, get the RS6 steering wheel. That pic look like the stock S4 steering wheel.

now if you car did have the MF (mulit function) option, & has the shifter buttons, stock, then yea, you should be able to have both. Why don't you pull the steering wheel off & look what's under there, you might have to poke around a little, & see if there is any wiring that isn't plugged in.

I have the RS6 wheel in my car, with paddles, to replace the S4 button one. If you just want buttons, let me know, my old wheel is just sitting in the basement.
Paddles

Buttons

Old 08-31-2007, 02:12 PM

very nice interior there and love the red lights

Old 08-31-2007, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

Blade69, yes those are for the radio, I have that steering wheel. The guy who's selling it doesn't know what he's talking about. The steering you need that has the paddle shift is pictured by 2k s4. The steering wheel is shaped like a "T" and not a sideways "H"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping Steering Wheels - Will this work?