Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat, Timing Belt and Water pump change?

Old 05-05-2007, 03:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Thermostat, Timing Belt and Water pump change?

Hi Fellas. I've searched thru all of the forum posts but haven't found the answer specifically so I'm going to ask...

My thermostat is sticking here in AZ. From what I've learned on these forums (thanks) I'm going to replace the WP and TB also. My ride is a 2000 A6 4.2L V8 w/ 68k miles. My question is which other components are absolutely critical to changing while I or hired mechanic have it all apart? I've created a spreadsheet of all the possible components, their prices and the different vendors that carry them. I know ECS and Blau provide TB kits. However, I can actually save a bit of money by using Autohaus AZ for most of the components (since they are the cheapest) separately. However, they do not carry the Tension Dampener for my VIN and I've read on the forums that this should be changed. If so, why isn't it included in ECS' Ultimate TB Kit? Here's a list of the components. Please tell me which are absolute musts for changing if possible. Part of why i'm asking is that i think i'm leaning towards having a mechanic do the work and I want to keep the labor costs to a min. I'm thinking 5-6 hrs?? Thanks in advance!

I will change- WP, TB, Thermostat

Should I change?- TB Tension Dampener, Tensioner Roller w/ Lever, TB Roller (small), TB Roller (large), Cam Seals (2), Aux Drive Belt

Old 05-05-2007, 04:36 PM
SSn
1st Gear
Default RE: Thermostat, Timing Belt and Water pump change?

Absolute minimum is what you are planing to od WP, TB, thermostat.
The rest is up to you, if you are buying a kit do everything what's inclooded.

I didn't replace tentioner dumper because it's expensive =)
I used blau parts kit.
They have the tentioner and another roller, + the seals and my car had 150k on it. My guess you can leave the old tentioner an everything if you are on tight buget... at 68k I expect it's still good. It's up to you, how really are you ubsessed with the car

Old 05-05-2007, 04:53 PM
1st Gear

I did my timing belt at 75K miles and didn't change the tensioner. Got to do it again at 97K miles when the tensioner went. Mine's a 2.7T, so I don't know how much difference there is with a 4.2.

My advice would be to change the tensioner while you're in there.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

By Tensioner are you talking about the Roller w/ lever or Dampener?

Old 05-05-2007, 05:12 PM
SSn
1st Gear

Not sure about 4.2l on 2.8 there are two tensioners And hydro damper... Dumper itself is over 100$ bucks, so I didn't replace that.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

I was referring to the damper

Old 05-05-2007, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. But I'm surprised the kits don't come with the dampener unless you buy the TOTL kit. All kits do come with the Tensioner Roller w/Lever though, so I gotta think it's a common part to fail.

So I'll add the TBTD and TBRw/L to the list to be safe.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

I would definitly replace all the tensioners...If a tensioner goes its possible that it can have the same effect as the T-belt going.
I just did my T-belt on thursday and ordered the kit from ECS, and they left out the hydrolic tensioner. Which I had to buy seprately adding another $140...no wonder their kit was so cheap!

Old 05-06-2007, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

thanks vDub. Which is why I think i'm just going to order the kit from Blau. They have more G12 in their kit then ECS and every part possible in the repair.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:26 PM
3rd Gear

I just went with the Blau kit as well and while it was the cheapest, I did have to add a tensioner which added another $90. That pretty much made it the same price asmany of the others. IMO,I can't see trying to save $100 on one part when it was 6 labor hours to do the entire job. And if the tensioner goes and the belt starts skipping, who knows what bad things could happen. The Blau kit also had a metal impeller on the water pump, which was recommended by my indie shop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thermostat, Timing Belt and Water pump change?