Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about replacing the 4.2 timing belt myself

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Thinking about replacing the 4.2 timing belt myself

2002 A6 4.2

I am considering doing this myself in the garage. I have plans to do the timing belt and water pump, what else should I replace while im in there. Should I go to the dealer for the parts, and does the belt kit come with everything I'll need such as gaskets. What special tools should i have (like the cam bar) and where can I get them. Lastly, can someone recommend a good set of instructions to follow

If you want, I'll take lots of pics and post a writeup on how to do it, but if I am gonna do that, I want to make sure I am doing everything right!

Thanks

Old 06-12-2007, 11:07 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Thinking about replacing the 4.2 timing belt myself

I hate sounding like a dic*head but if you search you will find your answers. Also look here: http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html and here: http://www.audidiy.com/c5a6.html

I'm sure the v8 is a little if not a lot different that the v6, but a timing belt job is a pretty standard job on any engine.

Best of luk.
Jeff

Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Thinking about replacing the 4.2 timing belt myself

No, you don't sound like a dic*head, I actually have been searching on here (a6 forum anyway), and many of my questions answers were not found (searched for 'timing belt'). I didn't see anything about whether the kit comes with everything i need, i know the cam bar is good to have (I guess it comes from the dealer, but im not sure), water pump should be replaced, etc. But I didn't see anything specifically stating that this is a list of specialty tools or a list of parts that should be replaced. So i just want to make sure all of my bases are covered before i tear into my daily driver.

I don't know, just had no definitive answers, and the last thing i want to do is spend a weekend or more only to find out that I should have spent 5 minutes replacing something while it was torn down. Sorry if it seemed like a FAQ, and it may be, i just wasn't finding it. Thanks for the links though, I'll take a gander. Your reply is appreciated!