Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt and ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 05:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing belt and ?

I have an '02 A6 2.7T that needs the timing belt replaced. Since this is not a small repair job and several parts need to be removed, are there any other parts that I should look into replacing/upgrading? If everything checks out ok, I plan on chipping it, DP, new exhaust, DV's, TBB and maybe a few other things in the next few months. So, what makes sense to do while I am having the timing belt replaced? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:49 PM
3rd Gear

Water pump, thermostat, cam seals and tensioners... If you really want to go for it, then add the crank seal as well.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:07 PM
1st Gear

I planned on getting the tb replacement kit. I don't remember off hand, but doesn't that include the items you listed?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

I just ordered the TB kit from http://www.blauparts.com/ and it is a very comprehensive kit that includes everything. They also rent the special tools needed to do the job right. Parts should be here tomorrow, so will be up to my elbows in grease very soon.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

yes you will finished my wifes 2.7t last month, looks over whelming but its not that bad, be careful with the crank seal i would recommend not messing with it unless its leaking, the audi mechanics wont change it unless its necessary. the only strange thing was when reinstalling the crank pulley with the timing mark there was some play and you have to line the timing marks up before you tighten it,if you dont use the crank lock pin this can cause some confusion.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:29 PM
2nd Gear

So you have the kit, make sure the kit comes with a thermostat some don't. Also do your vacuum lines while your there(www.ecstuning.com has braided oem). Basically I am having problems with anything that is made of rubber on both my Audi's. So just make sure you have all the oil seals ready to go. Chances are they will be leaking soon. I am not sure how far in you have to go on a 2.7 I have a 3.0. I would also replace at least the upper and lower cooling hoses and look at your cooling resevoir for hairline cracks. If so change that POS too. Basically go after the rubber parts.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by histeel
... be careful with the crank seal i would recommend not messing with it unless its leaking, the audi mechanics wont change it unless its necessary.
Can you elaborate a bit on this? The kit I got has new seals as well and I rented the tool kit that has all the special tools needed, from what I understand there is a special tool for replacing the seals. The guy at Blau suggested they get replaced, he gave some examples of why it's important even if the existing seals are not visibly leaking yet, but I can't recall specifically. Insight is appreciated. With any luck, I will be completing this job this afternoon.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 68jcode
I just ordered the TB kit from http://www.blauparts.com/ and it is a very comprehensive kit that includes everything. They also rent the special tools needed to do the job right. Parts should be here tomorrow, so will be up to my elbows in grease very soon.
Great looking kit.. I'm gonna order that and do it before snowboarding season for sure lol... my car kinda needs it. Just gotta find someone who has the tools cuz i'm not paying another 350 on a deposit.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jackmup
So you have the kit, make sure the kit comes with a thermostat some don't. Also do your vacuum lines while your there(www.ecstuning.com has braided oem). Basically I am having problems with anything that is made of rubber on both my Audi's. So just make sure you have all the oil seals ready to go. Chances are they will be leaking soon. I am not sure how far in you have to go on a 2.7 I have a 3.0. I would also replace at least the upper and lower cooling hoses and look at your cooling resevoir for hairline cracks. If so change that POS too. Basically go after the rubber parts.
Thanks for the advice. I plan on going to Alex's Auto Haus in Salt Lake to get the work done. Does anyone here have experience with them?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:34 AM
3rd Gear

Make sure you get a warranty from the shop, because most shops don't give you any warranty on parts that they did not provide.

Quick Reply: Timing belt and ?