Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing belt

I've been searching for about 30min on what are the symptoms of a failing timing belt. What should I look for to know that my belt is on its way out, or is already gone?

Old 02-09-2007, 02:39 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Timing belt

How many miles do you have? What year model?
You shouldn't wait for symptoms of a failed timing belt, but should instead have it changed out along with t-stat, water pump, tensioner, and accessory belts between 75-90k miles.
From what I've heard if the timing belt breaks or craps out in the car, it won't drive. Audi designed it this way to minimize damage to the engine.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

It's a 2001 A6 2.7T with 64k on it. I just wanted to know what I should look for to know that the belt is broken (IE: sounds, feel of the car, etc..)

Old 02-09-2007, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

My understanding is you won't feel or hear anything. When it fails it's sudden and you'll know because the motor will de dead and you'll find yourself stranded.
You're probably good for another 25 - 36k miles.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:02 PM
3rd Gear

If the belt breaks the engine will never run again without 3-5,000.00 of engine work *. The sound it makes when the belt breaks, is clink clink clink as all your valves are bending. The sound the belt makes when it is wearing out...silence. There are pulleys that can squeak before they fail, but really it is a job you just get done when it needs to be done.

* sometimes miracles happen, it did on our Toyota truck, the belt broke while starting the truck and did no engine damage.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:08 PM
3rd Gear

The symptoms of a failed belt, the engine go BOOM.

There is not way to see the belt with out taking half the front of the engine apart. Most of the time if the belt is going to go, it will not give much warning.
You might get some pulley bearing noises. But that could also be the acc belt.

If you are this worried about it, get a TB done.

Here is a pic of the TB, as you can see it's under the ACC belt & the bi-pipe

Old 02-09-2007, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

"There is not way to see the belt with out taking half the front of the engine apart" Is this true? Please excuse my butting in to someone elses post, but:

My 2.7t w/ 80k is at the dealer for the 80k service today. The dealer just called to recomend that they do the timing belt be changed cuase they can see that it is cracked. Can you see to timming belt from a valve cover or some other access point at the top without pulling the bumper etc.

thanks,

Old 02-09-2007, 06:06 PM
1st Gear

I think the stealer is bs'ing you. On my 2.8 you can't see it at all because it has multiple plastic covers protecting in and those covers are behind the accessory belts. Removal of the front end is required.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:32 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: roadpirate

"There is not way to see the belt with out taking half the front of the engine apart" Is this true? Please excuse my butting in to someone elses post, but:

My 2.7t w/ 80k is at the dealer for the 80k service today. The dealer just called to recomend that they do the timing belt be changed cuase they can see that it is cracked. Can you see to timming belt from a valve cover or some other access point at the top without pulling the bumper etc.

thanks,
Here is a pic after changing the TB & putting it all back together. As you can see, NO TIMIMG BELT! All you see is the ACC belt, and Bi-pipe.
There IS NOT WAY to seeing the TB unless you remove the Bi-pipe, remove the ACC belt, & remove the TB covers. It takes about 2.5hrs of labor to get at the timing belt.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:20 AM
3rd Gear

I just had mine replaced at 72,000. Highly suggest you get it done sooner than later. You will regret it if you do.

Quick Reply: Timing belt