Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing Belt

I have a certified preowned 04 Audi A6 2.7T bi-turbo Quattro, and I'm concerned about the timing belt interval. Is that something that would be covered under warranty? The car has some hi miles. 73,500 to be exact. Should i just go ahead and get this done? The stealer is quoting $1600 dollars, and before i spend my hard earned I wanna make sure im not blowing it.[]

Old 05-07-2007, 06:44 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Timing Belt

You will be blowing your money if you let the dealer do it. I suggest you wait a while longer and have an indy do the work. Mine was done at 84k for 1400k at the dealer and that is high, an indy can do it for 900.00 I have heard. Audi says change the belt at 105k, many including myselft think that is too long. But I think 74k is a litte early, unless you don't mind doing it early.

Jeff

Old 05-07-2007, 06:58 PM
SSn
1st Gear

I don't understand people... 200$ and you can do it yourself. Is is really that hard that you are willing to throw away 1000$+ more to have someone else do it? That's a lot of hard earned money, you can buy another cheap car on that =)

Old 05-07-2007, 07:06 PM
3rd Gear

I completely agree. The prior owner did mine, I would never pay someone to do it. But I have a garage, experience and all the tools to do it.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Default temp up and down

I have a 00 tt and just finished a major repair(timing belt sheard) all 20 valves hit! I have it done and I want to know if audi 1.8 has a bleader on the cooling system. The car runs better than before but my temp goes to half then drops a 1/4 then back up.The level is good but in past on some cars air in system can cause this.I dont see a bleeder.Wut up!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

I appreciate the replies. From what i hear this is a tedious job that will take all day for an experienced people. I don't have the tools for one thing, and I'm sure i dont have the patience. That quote included changing out all the pulleys and water pump. I will slow down for now and keep getting quotes til I can get it fixed.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:32 AM

The 2.7T is a lot of work...The write up below has excellent pictures and detailed description for a 2.7T, although it was written for an Allroad the sedan is virtually the same.
http://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/105861.phtml

Scroll down thru the following post for additional pics as well as some info on the specialty cam & crank tools required.
https://www.audiforums.com/m_452727/tm.htm

Old 05-08-2007, 02:28 PM
3rd Gear

You should plan on having it done soon. 105kmi is way to long, anything around 80ish should be safe.

It's also not a noobie job. It is very involved, not hard, just a lot of steps. Some one working alone, in the garage, 1st time, expect the whole day, & maybe some of the next. Getting quality parts, for everything, the parts are close to $400. Then there are a couple of special tools.

Most independents will do the job for around $1000. For some one who doesn't like to wrench it's the way to go.

IMHO, if you don't change your own oil, don't do your own brakes, don't know or want to flush the coolant, take it in to a shop. If you giggle when I said flush your own coolant, you can do the job in your garage.

Engine ****.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 AM
SSn
1st Gear

Well, It took me 14 straight hours to do my first T belt... And I was 17 at a time =) Are you saying you are worth then me????? =) That was 3 years ago BTW. The car was a 88 E30 325is, wich is easy compared to my current A6. But it's not so scary of a job to throw away 1000$+.... Try to get someone from the board who lives near by to help you.
Otherwise, it's your car, there is not really much you can screw up, well, there is, but you'll now it before starting the engine so no damage will accure. If you go slow and follow instructions, you'll be fine.

Replacing pulleys? No one'll do that, especially the dealer. You might have to take them off to do the seals though... Actually on these particular cars putting back the cam shaft pulleys is the most difficult part, because of the stupid design... Cams are strait cones, there is no woodrof key =((( If you get all the right tools - the job is not difficult at all. I did not have the cam holder (the large thing on the picture above -=) I still managed to do everything without it.
If you are not doing the seals, you don't need one anyway. Actually you will not need any of the special trools, except for the torx set to take the bumper off, and 32mm open key to unscrew the fan clutch, I think

It's up to you... If you change your own oil, you can change your timing belt!

glasgow48 - post your own topic. Get a repair manual. Bleeding info should be in there.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: SSn
Well, It took me 14 straight hours to do my first T belt... And I was 17 at a time =) Are you saying you are worth then me????? =) That was 3 years ago BTW. The car was a 88 E30 325is, wich is easy compared to my current A6. But it's not so scary of a job to throw away 1000$+.... Try to get someone from the board who lives near by to help you.
Otherwise, it's your car, there is not really much you can screw up, well, there is, but you'll now it before starting the engine so no damage will accure. If you go slow and follow instructions, you'll be fine.

Replacing pulleys? No one'll do that, especially the dealer.
LOL, 14hrs for a M20 TB? Doing the M20 TB is not even CLOSE to the 2.7t. It takes a few hours just to get to the front of the engine. Really, I've done a few M20's, they take about 4hrs, even my best shot the 2.7t will take around 8. 4hrs into the 2.7t you are just getting at taking off the acc belt. Taking the whole front end of the car off & disconnecting quite a few electrical connectors is a PITA, & a little intimidating.

The pulleys, all need to come off to get at the TB, so I'm pretty sure no one would have a problem swapping them out. The funny thing would be to see what they try to charge for it.

For tools, besides the normal torx & fan wrench, you should have the timing bar, to keep the cam timed while you remove & reinstall the new belt. One tooth off can be bad.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt