Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt. This could be really bad. help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 04:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing Belt. This could be really bad. help!

Ok so this could turn out really bad so I'm asking everyones help before this turns catastrophic. I have an 01' 2.7t

I just did the TB job and my two CAM marks are lined up with their marks but when I put the harmonic balancer back on, TDC doesn't line up with the two cam marks. When I crank it back to my two starting CAM marks its lined up. Is the TDC off or are my cams off? The cams did move a little earlier but I moved them back. PLEASE HEKP!!!

Attached Images    
Old 11-14-2009, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

as you can see in the pics, the two cam marks are lined up but the TDC is off. ( The left cam mark is hard to see. its alittle silver mark under the cam mark)

Old 11-14-2009, 09:33 PM
4th Gear

Loosen up the cams, line up the marks, put the tools on, tighten it all back down.... you moved something while putting the belt on OR you left wayy too much slack on one side of the belt when putting it back on. It should be tight before tighten the cams...

Old 11-14-2009, 09:41 PM
3rd Gear

Hmmmm....from those pics I doubt anyone can tell you if the cams are at TDC or not. Which ones are the cam marks, because I for one can't see them.

In any event, obviously your CRANKSHAFT is not at TDC, and that's the very first mark you start aligning first, before setting the cam sprockets.
-

-
-

You need to line up the crank pulley first (and lock the crankshaft), and only after start lining up the cams.
Did you use a cam locking bar? (The cam sprockets' diamond-shaped retaining plates don't seem to be facing each other on a straight line - so there's no way you're at TDC)

Old 11-16-2009, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

ok thanks guys im gunna try it out

Old 11-16-2009, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

ummm ok. soo i tried to move my left cam to its correct spot and it popped and and moved and now it wont move. any suggestions?

Old 11-16-2009, 08:01 PM
4th Gear

What?? Popped?

Old 11-16-2009, 11:10 PM

You need to search the forums for timing belt instructions for a 2001 2.7T engine.
Try www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html , however do not trust instructions which do not use the proper alignment tools.
Get a copy of the BentleyPublishers.com Audi shop manual which lists the alignment tools needed for your engine.
Improper timing will destroy your engine! For tools, just google "Audi tools".

Old 11-16-2009, 11:42 PM
1st Gear

yep. I was moving it and it like popped and moved about 90 degrees. Now when I try to spin it back it will only nudge a little but will not move enough to go back to the original timing mark I made. WTF can i do here? I'm baffled I did this

Old 11-16-2009, 11:49 PM
4th Gear

Ok.. sounds like you moved it untill the next two valves closed (intake/exhuast). The spring pressure is what you are feeling.

Do you have the proper cam alignment tools?

Quick Reply: Timing Belt. This could be really bad. help!