Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Job- success!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:36 AM
1st Gear
Default Timing Belt Job- success!

well i just finished doing my timing belt with my buddy. Damn is that a lot of work!
Oh, and to make it even better.. we were tired as hell at by the time we threw the serp belt on we messed up putting on the tensioner When we started the car up, it ate the new serp belt.
After another hour of messin with it, because we already threw the car together completely, we managed to sneak the old serp belt on around the fan. Ill order a new one next week...

The car drive amazingly better. I didn't expect such a huge improvement!

I went by this guid http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng63.shtml , but it wasnt completely correct. A few different clips to remove, a few incorrect wrench sizes, and we never removed the entire front clip... we rather leaned it forward. I think because that guide is for timing on the allroad. But thanks to they guy who wrote it up

Oh and we didnt use any special tools. No cam locker. Got lucky i guesss; counted timing keys and were very, very careful. Also, we didnt have the fan 'chop stick' tools, so we used an air hammer to loosen the bolt.

i ordered the delux timing kit from http://www.blauparts.com for $350

success!

Old 04-27-2008, 03:57 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Timing Belt Job- success!

Good job man! well, you saved yourself approximately 1500 dollars (avg. for the job) but being a heck of a job like you described, I don't feel that bad paying the dealer 1200 for everything. I jus thave the peace of mind that the job was done (at 101K miles).

Old 04-27-2008, 05:26 AM
2nd Gear

Great story. I think I will stick with the dealer as well.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:46 AM
1st Gear

Good job Tim.

I just did mine at 100,000 and the water pump showed signs of going bad. You could see the pink fluid leaking from the seal. Good timing, so to speak.

I used the blauparts kit. Good company.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

You did not use a cam lock tool ! Why not? blauparts rents them for a little bit of nothing. So , no crank lock either I'll bet.
Your engine may run ok, but, having not used the locking tools and not pretensioning the belt- there isNO way you have correct timming!
This job is cake compared to changing oil cooler seals on a 4.2. I spent over 1 HR. putting 1 bolt into 1 hole, and then I had toget a wrench on it.
Short cuts are rarely worth it. BENG

Old 04-27-2008, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

Thanks. Ya, next time i will probablly take it to a shop because it is a PITA

BENG what are you talking about? There are sensors on each cam and if timing were off even the slightest bit, i would have thrown a cel

Old 04-27-2008, 03:21 PM

ORIGINAL: beng

You did not use a cam lock tool ! Why not? blauparts rents them for a little bit of nothing. So , no crank lock either I'll bet.
Your engine may run ok, but, having not used the locking tools and not pretensioning the belt- there isNO way you have correct timming!
This job is cake compared to changing oil cooler seals on a 4.2. I spent over 1 HR. putting 1 bolt into 1 hole, and then I had toget a wrench on it.
Short cuts are rarely worth it. BENG

Being the engineer and mechanic that I am...I can't let that go. No, the timing is not that touchy. If you have the right teeth of the belt in the right place then no problem. That cam locking tool and the crank locking tools are not necessary. They are simply helpful.

When I did mine (about a month ago at 96,000) I too did not use the cam locking tool. However there is a timing mark on the crank so pretty hard to get that one wrong and I used a 5' strait edge to mark across both cams to make sure those didn't move. In the end that was actually easier to do than use the cam locking tool because of the tightness of the belt. I actually rotated the driver's side cam a little and then rotated it back to make it easier to get the belt on. No problems! No cel and the car started up instantly with no odd noises either when I was done. I didn't notice any increase or better feel after I was done though. I simply drove as it always has.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:42 PM

Didn't the kit come with instructions, also what is the benefit of getting the enhanced kit over the regular one? I'm asking because I plan on doing this and would like to know what is needed.

I just finished changing my axle and it was a PITA, I had to go back to the store several times to buy various tools I didn't have in my collection, which has worked fine for years on three different kinda cars. I mean hex and star sockets, wtf... I really don't want to go through not having the right tools again.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

im not sure what more is included in the deluxe kit, i know a water pump. I figured if i was going to be in there, i might as well replace everything. The kit does come with some instructions, but they aren't very helpful. Good luck with yours. Send me a message if you want more help.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:11 PM

Congrats,
Many guys do this service this way and if you are careful you'll be okay. Note the balancer can spin on some audi and vw engines, this part is sometimes mounted in rubber so it can spin and not line up with the mark. The tools used correctly keep you safe!!!! Who wants to do the seals 5,000 miles after you put new rubber on..... I know the value of saving money but on some things use a professional it makes more since. I'd say you have guts....

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Job- success!