Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt jumped causing valve damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 04:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing belt jumped causing valve damage

I am hoping some of you out there might be able to help me get my brain around the costs and options for my damaged 2002 A6 3.0.

As my mechanic told me, my waterpump failed causing slack in the timing belt allowing it to jump. It threw out the timing and, as they said, they can confirm at least two valves are bent. This diagnosis alone cost $350 and they are saying that the repair (including factory reconditioned heads) would run anywhere from $4000-$7000 depending on what they find during the job.

The car has 127,000 miles on it. Should I sell it as is or can I get it fixed the right way for cheaper than they are quoting? What other options would you suggest?

Thanks for the help!!

Old 08-25-2009, 06:07 PM
3rd Gear

I would look into a used engine.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:33 PM
2nd Gear

If you want to keep it this is what I think you should do. Replace the bent valves , install new valve seals and lifters on the effected valves, water pump, thermostat, belts, tensioner, rollers, all of the Vacuum lines because they will get broken and knocked around too much during the repair. obviously all the related gaskets and a good *** servicing. I'll bet anything the parts for the fore mentioned would be less than $1200 and it would only take an extra few hours to rebuild the heads and clean them up so figure 6 hours (i can not see it taking more than 3 8hr days to do that job)if they can't clean those heads and replace a couple valves in 6 hours once the heads are on the bench. Then you should pull them and send them to Chefro in Michigan. He likes head!

Really you need to find a better mechanic these guys smelled you coming a mile away.

If it was mine and for some reason I decided not to buy a D3 instead. Then I would also do all of the valve seals and lifters on each valve and replace all of the coils.

Let me also say $4-7000 depending on "what they find" and they are just swapping out the heads. What the hell do they think they're going to find? 3000 dollars of what? The car is maybe worth 6K right now so thats the wrong way to go.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:45 PM
4th Gear

Then you should pull them and send them to Chefro in Michigan. He likes head!
Illinios.... giving or recieving?

Agree, pull the heads, replace valves and seals, replace head, go on your way.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:57 PM
2nd Gear

Illinois! I knew he was around the lakes somewhere.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:28 PM
3rd Gear

Obviously I did not replace my own timing belt. I thought the water pump was driven by the serpentine belt, not by the timing belt?

PS - I know a real good, reasonable indie shop in Holland MI if that's any help.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:04 PM
2nd Gear

They don't want to do the work, that is why the high quote. Simple as that. DOn't blame them as the 3.0 is a bear to work on. So do as they as subtly suggesting and take it somewhere else. Like a dealership. To trade it in. You are going to spend a minimum of $3000 for this job just to get a car worth $6000 at the most. And then, other things will go bad (as they always do on a car with that kind of mileage). Do yourself a favor, dump the car!

Good luck,

Bob (also from Michigan)

Old 08-26-2009, 03:08 PM

Check this thread--he was parting out a 4.2 audi and the engine was a fresh rebuild:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=134583

Old 08-27-2009, 01:24 AM

If you were able to do some of the work yourself, then you could do it for less money. However, you would need to have another car and a garage to work in. It would also take more time if you have little experience and have to learn as you go. You would need the BentleyPublishers.com Audi shop manual, which lists the many required special tools.
The 3.0L may be similar to the 2.8L 30 valve engine which requires removing the front bumper of the car to get to the timing belt, etc. The older 2.8L 12 valve engine, which Chefro has does not require removing the bumper to do the timing belt.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:13 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Illinios.... giving or recieving?
Nah, he meant headcheese. I do love it (some ppl may go "yuuuck!")
Every time when I go to Chicago I visit my fav Polish store "Wally's International Market"... stock up on meats and liver paté!

sorry for the off-topic

Edit: HCW is right. I didn't have to remove the bumper. I didn't even have to remove the rad fans.

Quick Reply: Timing belt jumped causing valve damage